Panic Setting In

Decorating By anoldhippy Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm by visionsofprisms

anoldhippy Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

I am just going over everything for THE wedding cake. But now I am panicing. Becasue the piece she wants on second tier is big, I had to order the 10' columns. The problem is they are huge and the regualr dowles are smaller. It look like I will need a tree trunk to fit inside them icon_mad.gif . How do I get the colums to not sink thru the second layer when I put the top layer with its plate on top?

9 replies
WendyLaLa Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

Are you using Wilton Columns?

visionsofprisms Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 10

Are you using a bottom plate?... If your using a bottom plate and support it with dowling under it, it shouldn't push through the cake.

CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldhippy

I had to order the 10' columns. ...How do I get the colums to not sink thru the second layer when I put the top layer with its plate on top?

10" columns (not 10 foot), are the ones that go with double plate separators... the dowels go underneath the bottom plate for support. I don't think you ordered 10" push-in pillars with a top plate only. Do you want to provide a link to what you ordered?

CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 10
anoldhippy Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10

Yes, those are the ones I ordered. I only got them, no plate seperator. They are hollow . You don't know how much I appreciate your help

leah_s Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 10

You have to use those Wilton columns with 2 plates, top and bottom. Then support underneath the bottom plate.

visionsofprisms Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 10

The plates are sold separately, so you may choose what size plates you need. You have to use the same size plate on top and bottom.

With the bottom plate you need to support it with dowling. Other wise whats on top if heavy enough will squish your cake, Have had that happen, very difficult to fix.

I normally use a piece of tacky putty on top to help hold the top plate to the cakeboard under the cake.

anoldhippy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all...now I am even more panicked. I think I will just switch the order of her topper and flowers. Whew, tonight I start it...

visionsofprisms Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 10

Just take a deep breath and everything will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%