Can You Tell Me What Kind Of Icing This Is?

Baking By josweets Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 10:38pm by Navyempress

josweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweets Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 21

I am wondering what kind of icing this is on her cupcakes:

http://www.taylormadecupcakes.co.uk/cake-gallery

See photo numbers 41, 43, and 7 in particular.

I thought someone here might know? I love how it lines up with the baking cup and fills the ridges in perfectly. Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 21

My guess would be poured fondant.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 21

Poured fondant. Definitely.

josweets Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 21

Thank you so much!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 21

is also agree thats poured fondant - but a thick glace icing, while having a different look, would also line up with the case, and is very easy!
xx

josweets Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 21

I'll confess that this was the first I'd heard of "poured fondant", so I did some research after reading your responses and tried it this evening. This is one of the cupcakes:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1882996

It's a vanilla cupcake with black poured fondant and gumpaste flower. Not quite as "clean" as the one I first linked to in this thread, but I'm impressed with how it turned out for my first time. icon_smile.gif Thank you for introducing me to this new technique! thumbs_up.gif

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:20am
post #7 of 21

I have never tried poured fondant. Do you pour it right on top of the cupcake in the wrapper? And would you do the same with the thick glaze mentioned earlier? Would be interested to try this!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 21

Your cupcakes turned out great. I keep meaning to try poured fondant. How did the cupcakes taste?

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:28am
post #9 of 21

Your cupcake came out great! What recipe for poured fondant did you use? I would love to try some myself icon_smile.gif.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:44am
post #10 of 21

Just an FYI - poured fondant is super sweet. I'd make a small batch first, just to taste it, before using it on cupcakes.

I've only ever used it on petit fours. I'm not a fan of it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:53am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by josweets

It's a vanilla cupcake with black poured fondant and gumpaste flower. Not quite as "clean" as the one I first linked to in this thread, but I'm impressed with how it turned out for my first time. icon_smile.gif Thank you for introducing me to this new technique! thumbs_up.gif

Ok, now, josweets, false modesty is not at all becoming. "Not quite as clean" indeed! That cupcake was beautiful! Good job! Now you have us all excited over this new technique. Please post the link to the instructions you used to make that darling cupcake. Was it "too sweet" like playingwithsugar indicated? How did it taste compared to buttercream? What is the texture like when you bite into the cupcake?

josweets Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:54am
post #12 of 21

Steffla - I did try pouring it at first, but it didn't really work the way I thought it would. So I tried dipping them and that's what worked best for me. I just turned the cupcake upside down and dipped it. Then I carefully lifted them up so that it wouldn't drip down the sides.

sillywabbitz - They tasted "ok" if I'm being honest. It's probably because I just melted ready made fondant instead of making my own. Maybe MMF or another recipe would have tasted better, I'm not sure.

I think I might try a homemade fondant recipe next time, or maybe even use candy melts or a glaze icing. Thank you for the comments!

Theresa - you are correct! Very sweet indeed. They look great but definitely lack in flavor.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:00am
post #13 of 21

This is just one of the ways...and one of the recipes...

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant/

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:04am
post #14 of 21

And from Peggy Porschen...thread in CC. It's in all her books.

josweets Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:05am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:

Ok, now, josweets, false modesty is not at all becoming. "Not quite as clean" indeed! That cupcake was beautiful! Good job! Now you have us all excited over this new technique. Please post the link to the instructions you used to make that darling cupcake. Was it "too sweet" like playingwithsugar indicated? How did it taste compared to buttercream? What is the texture like when you bite into the cupcake?

LOL, well thank you Apti! icon_redface.gif I answered the taste question while you were posting, so see above, but yes, the taste left a lot to be desired. I'm going to keep working on it though and can hopefully formulate a recipe that tastes well with the same texture.

josweets Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

And from Peggy Porschen...thread in CC. It's in all her books.

THANK YOU!!!

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:14am
post #17 of 21

You can get this same effect by melting candy coating and either dipping or spooning it on.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

You can get this same effect by melting candy coating and either dipping or spooning it on.

Dude!! Now THAT sounds good!
(BTW, I loved your giving advice quote)

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:47pm
post #19 of 21

icon_smile.gif Thanks for posting this icon_smile.gif
There are some great hints and tips.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:04pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:

Steffla - I did try pouring it at first, but it didn't really work the way I thought it would. So I tried dipping them and that's what worked best for me. I just turned the cupcake upside down and dipped it. Then I carefully lifted them up so that it wouldn't drip down the sides.

sillywabbitz - They tasted "ok" if I'm being honest. It's probably because I just melted ready made fondant instead of making my own. Maybe MMF or another recipe would have tasted better, I'm not sure.

I think I might try a homemade fondant recipe next time, or maybe even use candy melts or a glaze icing. Thank you for the comments!

Theresa - you are correct! Very sweet indeed. They look great but definitely lack in flavor.

josweets, how do you melt your fondant? Other than using microwave (I don't have one)?
I really would like to try this method, at least once..

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

Dude!! Now THAT sounds good!
(BTW, I loved your giving advice quote)

LOL, thank you. I sometimes think of it when my mother-in-law is visiting. I have yet to say it to her.. maybe one day.. haha..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%