Would It Be Possible To Make Ahead

Decorating By Taigen Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 12:44pm by Taigen

Taigen Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm curious to know if it would be possible to make ahead various items with the cricut cake, seal them, and use them later on other projects?
If you needed to bend them could you just warm them slightly in the microwave?

8 replies
Taigen Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 9

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has any ideas?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 9

I've done them a few days ahead, maybe a week and kept them in a sealed ziploc. They did dry out a little bit, but they weren't so hard you couldn't bend them. Not sure if it has to do with where I live or not (the humidity). It's worth a shot!

Taigen Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

Thanks yummy, I appreciate your reply. I don't do a lot of baking but got a deal on the cricut so I wondered if I could do some "do ahead" items. Would also be more economical for using the gum paste etc. Would be nice to have some things already made for a last minute cake icon_smile.gif
As you say it is worth a try.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 9

You know what would probably work really well? If you're planning to keep items on hand, maybe try using one of those food savers. You know, the ones that suck the air out of a plastic bag and then seals it shut? I bet that would come in handy.... icon_smile.gif

steffla Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #6 of 9

The food saver idea sounds really interesting! I would think if you are using gumpaste it would be a definite no but if you are using fondant and they are sealed directly with plastic wrap then store in an airtight container they would work just fine.

MissLisa Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 9

Although I don't own a Cricut I would think if you cut out the pieces you wanted and then lightly rubbed them with shortening before storing in a ziploc bag they would keep a bit. I don't know that they would keeps for weeks and weeks, but I would think they would keep for a number of days anyway.

I used to own a food saver/sealer and used it for storing small bits of fondant. The issue I think you would have with that is that it takes ALL the air out and when it does that, it compresses the item in the bag. I don't know that your edges would stay sharp when using a food saver. Also, the bags I used had a texture to them which imprinted onto the fondant.

AngelFood4 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:22am
post #8 of 9

I've put mine over a board lined with parchment paper (to keep them flat and straight) and into a zip lock bag then into the freezer. You can use them right away straight out of the freezer and they're as pliable as the day they were made...works marvelously!

Taigen Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 9

GREAT!! icon_biggrin.gif
I never thought of the freezer Angel and that's where I store my extra anyway duh icon_rolleyes.gif
I was going to use my food saver or that glad cling wrap...I'm sure that the two combined would keep them.
Thanks so much for the replies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%