Should I Toss This Cream Cheese?

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 4:35am by -K8memphis

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 12

I totally brain-farted today and left the cream cheese out to "come to room temp" for about 5hrs.

I need to make cream cheese frosting. Should I toss it and go get a new batch?

It hasn't been overly warm here and the bricks were not squooshy but I'm feeling nervous since the cake is for a friend.

grrrrrr
Kristy

11 replies
insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I totally brain-farted today and left the cream cheese out to "come to room temp" for about 5hrs.

I need to make cream cheese frosting. Should I toss it and go get a new batch?

It hasn't been overly warm here and the bricks were not squooshy but I'm feeling nervous since the cake is for a friend.

grrrrrr
Kristy

When in doubt throw it out. Its dairy and I personally would not eat it. I've had food poisoning before and its not fun. Maybe I'm a little over cautious but I would toss it.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 12

it should be fine

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawanna02

it should be fine

Ditto, I have left it out longer than that and used it and it was fine!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 12

i always leave mine to come to room temp

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 12

I agree, it should be fine after just five hours. I've left mine out overnight to come to room temperature for a cheesecake I was making for my family. It was delicious and no one was sick. As long as it hasn't been exposed to air, it's vacuum sealed. Once it hits air, then it's exposed to bacteria.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:24am
post #7 of 12

something I learned while working at a market is to touch it to your cheek. if it's still cool feeling it's ok to use. this works for milk, cheese, yogurt, etc

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:31am
post #8 of 12

I worked at a dairy farm for awhile and you would not believe how long things were actually left out on the dock by the pullers that were waiting for the drivers to load their trucks! Trust me if it doesn't taste /smell any different (sour) than you'll be fine. how long have you put you h&H or creamer out on the counter and forgot it and came home hours later did you put back in frig? So many things have perservitives in them and that's one of the reason... sorry to let you know the bad news of the dairy farm icon_sad.gif

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 12

I've left mine out for a whole day and had no issues. I vote to use it icon_biggrin.gif

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:43am
post #10 of 12

I put the package of unopened cream cheese in a bowl of warm water.... 15min later it's room temp. Fastest way I have found to do it. thumbs_up.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:53am
post #11 of 12

Thanks--it was never opened. Just in the car from the market/errands and on the counter. Maybe 45min in the car and 4+ hours on the counter. Weather in the 70s here in Cali. I didn't feel warm or squishy. I just feel so paranoid since I'm making this cake for a friend.

I probably have to go to the market for more powdered sugar so I might just get some new CC for this batch.

I can save what I have for something that will be cooked, like a cheese cake or kolachis.

Kristy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #12 of 12

It's a four hour cumulative window. If the boys on the dock used it all then time's up. But we don't know the product's history--we get four hours to be aboveboard.

Say it takes 30 minutes at the store in the shopping cart and the ride home. 30 minutes to make the product ice and decorate then there's 3 hours left. Sure some cc icings are safe at room temp--I'm not saying they aren't I'm saying it's about staying as close to the safest and best as humanly possible not about how far can you go to push past the limits and not make someone sick.

I mean with a planetary action mixer I don't even set mine out at room temperature the mixer does all the work.

But as stewards of the public's trust and health I would not use the op's cream cheese to serve to someone else and I would never use it in an order that someone was paying for. I think it's a serious breech of trust. It is considered a potentially hazardous food substance.

No the product you make is probably not fermented or stinky or anything like that but it has been at the wrong temperature long enough for the bacteria to be headed in the wrong direction and gaining momentum. There's a reason cream cheese is considered a potentially hazardous food substance.

I'm glad you are replacing it. Good call!

edited for fixin' a typo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%