How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By Sunshine0063 Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 1:31am by cakesdelight

Sunshine0063 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 5

I made this for a friend of a friend and I know it's not as good as most on cc. Several people in her office have asked for my number and I was just curious what would you charge for this cake? Thanks

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1881872.html

4 replies
mommynana Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:59am
post #2 of 5

cant help u with the price but its a cute cake nice job thumbs_up.gif

woodyfam Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 5

Your people are adorable. I don't know how to do pricing but wanted to tell you that you did a great job!

jason_kraft Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 5

You should charge the cost of the cake, including ingredients, labor, and overhead (including insurance, commercial kitchen fees, etc), plus a profit margin of 20-30%.

cakesdelight Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

One thing to keep in mind is how much is your time worth.

I charge $1.35 per serving on party cakes so a 11 X 18 sheet cake is $54.00 and that includes a top and bottom border and a message. if they wanted and simple piping decor on the cake then that's also included in that cost. (except for cornelli lace, that takes time and if done worng you have to start all over; fondant covered or custom fondant decoration) for my fondant figures I charge a basic fee... BUT to get to that fee I timed myself to see how long it takes me to do one figure or the pair (in your case) and if it takes me 2 hours to make or one hour and a half, I multiply that by the amount of $ per hour your time is worth.

to better explain cause Im known to loose people while I explain things...:
EXAMPLE; say I charge $10 per hour and it take me 2 1/2 hours to make all thats in your figure decration, I would charge $25 on top of the cake cost of $54. so their total is $79 plus delivery and tax.
You dont get into detail with customer on how much per hour and how long it takes you to make things just give them the flat quote, cause sometimes if you say to the customer I charge $10,$20 or $25 per hour and it take me 3 hours to make this, they will back away from having an amazing decor for their cake. I learned that the hard way, as I am taking the details of what they want I am calculating how much for the extra decor details and just add it up to the start at amount and give them on flat quote. HTH and didnt confuse you more... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%