Suggestion For Making A Crown Of Thorns

Decorating By pbhobby Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 4:35am by pbhobby

pbhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbhobby Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 8

I need to make a crown of thorns for a cake this weekend. It will sit on top of a 6 inch cake. I made one out of gumpaste but I'm not sure I like it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make one or how to make the one I made better???
I tried attaching the photo of the one I already have but I can't figure out how to do it. I do have it posted in my photos though.

7 replies
JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 8

I have never made one, but if I were to make one I would try royal icing. This will not be as heavy as gumpaste, and if tiara's can be made out of this, then I don't see why it should be different for a thorny crown icon_smile.gif

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 8

It looks great,,, but I think it may be a little "heavy". I like the gumpaste, but not so many layers and I think you've got it!

Ellyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellyane Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 8

I've seen several examples here of gumpaste barb wire, which probably has a similar shape to what you're going for. Maybe try searching for those?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 8

I looked at your picture and I think what you've made looks great. I'd go with it.

If you really feel that you need to re-do it, you could try modeling chocolate. It gives you a longer window for working than gum paste and it sticks to itself or with water.

Rae

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 8

I like the one you made. In fact, I saw it in the photos before I saw your post and knew exactly what it was and clicked on it to see it. I'd definitely use that one.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

The one that you made looks fine, but as an alternative use chow mein noodles tossed in melted chocolate.

pbhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbhobby Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. These all sound like great suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%