Choc Coated Oreos - Please Help

Baking By yummymummycakes Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 9:27am by brincess_b

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

I have been reading some of last years Christmas ideas for gift baskets and came across Chocolate covered Oreos (which sound delicious)

When I googled how to make them I saw that some people use a mold for these.

So I was wondering if this mold

http://shop.newdirections.com.au/epages/newdirections.sf/en_AU/?LastViewObjectID=199723&ViewAction=View&ChangeAction=&ShopURL=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.newdirections.com.au%2Fepages%2Fnewdirections.sf%2Fen_AU%2F&Quantity=1&ChangeObjectID=211406&x=64&y=10

would work, and could I then hand paint the design.

Many thanks

Cheryl

6 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

I've made these with and without a mold - the mold does require a lot of chocolate, whereas if you hand dip, you can get by with less. I've done them with mint chocolate and put crushed candy canes on top - everyone loved them. I've also topped them with premade sugar decorations and fondant ones.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 7

The molds are manufactured by SpinningLeaf. Fabulous molds! I have a cupboard full of different designs. The molds make turning out these treats quick and easy.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 7

I make them all the time w/o molds. It goes very quickly and I can adjust the colors and the sprinkles to match the party theme, holiday, etc.

I have the special edition candy cane Oreos in the cupboard waiting to be dipped into the Wilton candy melts that have crushed candy cane already mixed in.

The molds turn out a beautiful cookie but I can see myself accumulating another collection of toys/tools that I have to figure out how to store.

Kristy

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:14am
post #5 of 7

Customers seem to like the molds because it looks different from the ones they can make themselves. They like them for gift-giving.

Spinning Leaf is the one I use too. Great company!

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:36am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for the replys ladies.

Cant wait to get them now!

Spinning Leaf looks fantastic icon_cry.gif that I cant get that sort of range in Australia.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:27am
post #7 of 7

get in touch and find out what shipping would be - probably more than the product, but.... customer service is excellent! they might know if anyone nearer you stocks them as well, or makes a similar product.
the trick is finding a mold that is food safe. i scoured all the craft and homeware shops and could never find anything the right size - soap molds (not food safe anyway) usually slope off at the sides, which would expose the biscuit.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%