How Do I Keep My Decorated Cakes Fresh?????

Decorating By maureengr Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 1:11am by mommynana

maureengr Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 4

I have a few questions concerning cakes done a few days in advance. I've read several times that a cake done in fondant cannot go in the fridge, because it sweats and the colors bleed when taken out.I also read that you shouldn't put a cake iced in buttercream in the freezer, as it will sweat when taken out of the freezer. I did a cake iced with buttercream and I put it in the fridge, will it sweat and bleed when I take it out? If you do a cake a few days in advance of when it is needed, how do you keep it fresh? Will the buttercream harden and the cake dry out? If you're doing a wedding cake with fondant for example, you can't possibly do it all the day before the wedding. There again, if you start a few days before the wedding, how do you keep everything fresh? Would really appreciate some answers on this. Thanks in advance.

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 4

The cake can't dry out once it's iced because the air can't get to the cake. If you refrigerate, it will dry out sooner than leaving it on the counter. (your cake will actually become more moist as it sits--iced, of course.) Cakes are shipped frozen all the time with minimum sweating and bleeding of colors, but in your case--you shouldn't need to worry about freezing since it's only going to be a few days old.

silverdragon997 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 4

Lots of people on here put their fondant covered cakes in the fridge. They just need to be taken out of the fridge several hours in advance of delivery/pick-up. Let it come to room temperature without touching it. The condensation that occurs should dry on it's own and not leave any marks or spots. I even read that someone has on occasion taken a hair dryer to the cake if it's not drying fast enough. HTH.

mommynana Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4

i keep my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time never had a prob with them sweating however once i put a fondant cake in one of those realy big commercial freezers and thats when the cake started to sweat i have no idea why

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%