Red Velvet Cake Help Please

Decorating By cupcakegirl22 Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 7:16am by tryingcake

cupcakegirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl22 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 28

Hi
I'm searching for a recipe for redvelet cake, I seen a couple here but some call for a cup and half of oil and others call for buttter which one would be best?PLEASE HELP

27 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 28

My recipe starts with a Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix and it gets rave reviews:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/author/BlakesCakes

Rae

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 28

i like the recipe with oil, it really moist. make sure you use canola oil, it flavorless

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 28

If you are looking for a home made cake this one is fabulous...here is the link. This cake recipe is Rafael Logrono's her is 17 and a fabulous cake artist.
http://www.cakeb0t.com/151/cake-decorating-techniques-split-fill-and-crumb-coat-a-cake/
Hope this helped...Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 28

I have tried many red velvet recipes and have always come back to Sarah's tweaked red velvet recipe. Everyone I know raves about it, including my boss who used to make cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

Everyone has different taste, so try out a few and figure out which one you like best.
Have fun!
Amber

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 28

There was someone here who did a red velvet cake test with several recipes. Maybe someone here can help out with the link. I've tried to search the forums, but can't find it. It was very informative.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 28

Here's a link to a blog where the author tested several recipes out. When I was searching for an RV recipe many people told me that they love the Cakeman Raven's recipe.

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ultimate-red-velvet-cake-taste-off-8.html

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 28

2½ cups cake flour
1½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon fine salt
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1½ cups canola oil
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ounce red food coloring, not concentrate
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine food coloring and vinegar, set aside. Sift all dry ingredients in a separate bowl. In a stand mixer combine with the paddle attachment mix all wet ingredients including sugar, add dry to wet. Mix until combined then add color mixture. Pour into prepared pans and in a 350 oven.

This recipe is enough for a 2 8x2

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 28

I also prefer Sarah's recipe. IMO the red velvet cake mix tastes like crap. Not even close to a real red velvet cake.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 28

I have used Cakeman Raven's recipe and it tastes great. I thought it was hard to work with though when I was stacking the layers. It was very delicate....but boy did it taste good! The one I almost always use though, with great results is from PinkCakeBox - if you go about 1/2 down her blog, there is a recipe section on the right hand side. The recipe is for 24 cupcakes, but I have used it for cakes too. Tastes great and isn't quite as delicate as the Cakeman Raven one!

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I also prefer Sarah's recipe. IMO the red velvet cake mix tastes like crap. Not even close to a real red velvet cake.

If you bother to look at the doctored recipe I use, it is FAR from a straight up cake mix and I'm sure that to those who've eaten it, it bears no resemblance to "crap".

Since you've probably never tried my recipe, I don't think you're qualified to make such a blanket statement. Stating that you prefer Sarah's recipe would have been quite sufficient, really.

I've had very good scratch red velvet and I've had very bad scratch velvet.................what else is new?

Rae

tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #12 of 28

And if you bothered to read my post you'd notice I said "cake Mix" not doctored cake mix, and no where did I mention your recipe. My statement wasn't directed at you or anyone else so get your panties out of a bunch and quit pi$$ing up my tree. You have no idea what I'm qualified to do so don't pretend you do. You come in here with you're know it all attitude and treat everyone else like they know nothing. Now this is my opinion......I don't care what you add to a mix it's still a mix.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #13 of 28

Well how about you stop pi$$ing on my leg and then telling me that it's raining and we'll be even icon_lol.gif (at you, by the way, not with you)

Rae

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:17am
post #14 of 28

Girls - really now let's be nice before someone gets hurt!

tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Well how about you stop pi$$ing on my leg and then telling me that it's raining and we'll be even icon_lol.gif (at you, by the way, not with you)

Rae

Get over yourself and we'll be even.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:21am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Rae

Get over yourself and we'll be even.

I will if you will...........pinky swear................ icon_twisted.gif

Rae

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:33am
post #17 of 28

I use Cake Man Raven's but use 1/2 cup cocoa instead of 1 Tbls. People lick the crumbs.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #18 of 28

Tiggy is right, red velvet cake mix is pretty much a chocolate cake mix with red food coloring in it. A real red velvet cake isn't a chocolate cake, so it doesn't taste like the cake mix version. It's a buttermilk cake, and it has it's own weird flavor that is hard to describe, but it isn't chocolate.

FACSlady, if you're adding that much cocoa it isn't really a red velvet cake anymore, but it probably tastes better than one! (I like chocolate.)

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Tiggy is right, red velvet cake mix is pretty much a chocolate cake mix with red food coloring in it. A real red velvet cake isn't a chocolate cake, so it doesn't taste like the cake mix version. It's a buttermilk cake, and it has it's own weird flavor that is hard to describe, but it isn't chocolate.

FACSlady, if you're adding that much cocoa it isn't really a red velvet cake anymore, but it probably tastes better than one! (I like chocolate.)

True to a degree.
I didn't get "chocolate" as a flavor, at all, when I first tried the mix without doctoring it.
I don't ever add extra cocoa. I don't want a chocolate cake when I make RV.
I do add BUTTERMILK and get a true, RV taste when baked.

Rae

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #20 of 28

I was just about to post a question about RV, but saw this.

I made cakeman Ravens recipe and wasn't really impressed with it. However I decided that the next time I ever saw it offered at a restaurant I would try it. It was SO GOOD! In the menu description, it mentioned
it had rasberry puree and cranberries. Although the cake came on a plate that had a drizzle of the puree and cranberries on top of the icing, the taste was so different from cakeman raven's, I'm wondering if perhaps it was infused somehow.

In my neck of the woods, RV is not that common, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Has anyone ever heard of adding puree to the batter?

TIA

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibosh

I was just about to post a question about RV, but saw this.

I made cakeman Ravens recipe and wasn't really impressed with it. However I decided that the next time I ever saw it offered at a restaurant I would try it. It was SO GOOD! In the menu description, it mentioned
it had rasberry puree and cranberries. Although the cake came on a plate that had a drizzle of the puree and cranberries on top of the icing, the taste was so different from cakeman raven's, I'm wondering if perhaps it was infused somehow.

In my neck of the woods, RV is not that common, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Has anyone ever heard of adding puree to the batter?

TIA

Your restaurant dessert sounds great, but it WASN'T classic RV cake by any stretch of the imagination.

RV has a taste of it's own--like what you made originally. It's not chocolate, it's not vanilla, and it's definitely not cranberries or raspberries.

If you add a pure, or other flavor to the batter, you'll have a lovely red cake, but it wouldn't be RV.

Rae

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:47am
post #22 of 28

RV cake is the same as devils food cake execpt it uses a lot less cocoa...it is unique flavor and I don't think you can use berries to color or flavor it...it won't be RV. The mix isn't that bad but it isn't as good as the scratch RV. It has a more devils food flavor with red dye. The link I posted I tried and tastes great! I make RV all the time as I live in ALabama and RV is a big deal in the South. They are funny here about their RV cake! LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl22 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 11:11pm
post #24 of 28

Wow lots of help here,I didn't think anyone replied i didn't receive any email letting me know so happy I checked.
I Made the oil /buttermilk RV and it 2 8inch suares but wasn't enought batter in ther so now redoing with a batch and 1/2 so hoppfully its works.I would of loved to try the start with a cake mix one butcould not find it in any of how stores just not popular in canada I guess any how THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE i will try some of the oters next week asfor my cake is do tomorrow.Will update later.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

I dunno. The recipe is at least 50 years old and it is indeed for red velvet cake. It's not really enough cocoa to make it really chocolatey - just gives it a bit more than a whisper. Because I've had it like that since I was a kid, it's the only thing that says "red velvet cake" to me.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #26 of 28

I've tried cakeman Ravens and Blakes Cakes and both are very good. I have to say using the buttermilk and white choc. pudding in the Blakes cakes recipe really makes a huge difference in the straight up box mix. Those two recipes would be my pick. Both yummy!

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:54am
post #27 of 28

California Pizza Kitchen's RV is the best I've ever had... but unfortunately, they dont have recipe.....

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:16am
post #28 of 28

I've never tried Cakeman Raven's (never heard of it until tonight) so I can't compare. But I love this one.

On the rare occasion I make a doctored red velvet from a red velvet mix, I sub buttermilk for the water and applesauce for the oil. People really like that.

BTW, I sub applesauce for oil in every doctored cake I make (except Heloise's recipe).

This is the one I use 99% of the time (printed by Hints from Heloise in 1995). I love it and it's one of my best sellers.

1 box yellow cake mix (18.25 oz)
5 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or regular)
2 Tbsp. cocoa
2 ounces red food coloring ( I use one ounce)

Combine the dry cake mix with the eggs, oil, buttermilk, cocoa and food coloring as listed above. Only add ingredients listed, do not add ingredients on box mix. Check the directions on the cake box to see how long you need to beat the ingredients together before baking. Bake according to box directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%