Duncan Hines Or Betty Crocker...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm by cakeflake80

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 41

for those of you who use cake mixes, which do you prefer and why?

40 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 41

I usually make a double batch of batter and I use one of each. My cakes look more like scratrch cake than box.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

I usually make a double batch of batter and I use one of each. My cakes look more like scratrch cake than box.

yummy, thanks for your reply. Using one of each, is there a particular reason you do this or just personal preference?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 41

Years ago I did a taste test on all of the cake brands in three flavors-choc, white, and yellow. I got the most concerting taste-testers available: my family and my husband's workshop employees! icon_lol.gif

DH won, hands down, for the choc and yellow. Pillsbury won for the white. These brands just taste better, and created a good quality/firm cake. Previously I had been using the Dawn commercial brand with unpredictable results. Many times the cakes just crumbled into a heap when cut! icon_confused.gif These mixes created cakes that were a dream to cut! thumbs_up.gif

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 41

For yellow cake - Duncan Hines Butter Recipe, definitely!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 41

I know most people on here like the DH, but I just don't see it. Every time I try it, I fail miserably. I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if I am just used to the BC and Pillsbury results. When I use DH the cakes don't rise properly and seem a little rubbery, if that makes sense. Does anyone have the same problem? Or is it just me?

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 41

I doctor my cake mixes and have used all three brands- DH, BC, and PB.
Recently, I've had problems with both BC and DH yellow mix. They lacked flavor even when I doctored the batter with additional vanilla, and/or emulsions, or used butter instead of oil.

I've switched to Pillsbury and have been getting excellent results. I don't carve cakes and do very few tiered cakes, so I can't say whether PB mix will be a good choice for that type of work or not. I'm very pleased with the cake texture and rich flavor that I get with enhanced PB mixes. HTH

NatalieC923 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I know most people on here like the DH, but I just don't see it. Every time I try it, I fail miserably. I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if I am just used to the BC and Pillsbury results. When I use DH the cakes don't rise properly and seem a little rubbery, if that makes sense. Does anyone have the same problem? Or is it just me?

How long do you mix it? I think the biggest "secret" to the Duncan Hines cake is mixing it long enough. Even here in the mountains, where we're supposed to be super careful not to add too much air, I mix for a full 4 mins. (with the extra flour and water added for altitude). It works perfectly for me every time.

mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieC923

Quote:

How long do you mix it? I think the biggest "secret" to the Duncan Hines cake is mixing it long enough. Even here in the mountains, where we're supposed to be super careful not to add too much air, I mix for a full 4 mins. (with the extra flour and water added for altitude). It works perfectly for me every time.

Maybe that's it. I mix for 2 minutes on 4(kitchenaid). I must say I have liked the taste, but the texture is not what I am used to. As far as taste I like Pillsbury the best, but it is way too moist once I add my add ins for the doctored cake mix, so I switched to BC. i get pretty consistent results with BC, but have always wondered what the big deal is about DH.

NatalieC923 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 41
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieC923

Quote:

Maybe that's it. I mix for 2 minutes on 4(kitchenaid). I must say I have liked the taste, but the texture is not what I am used to. As far as taste I like Pillsbury the best, but it is way too moist once I add my add ins for the doctored cake mix, so I switched to BC. i get pretty consistent results with BC, but have always wondered what the big deal is about DH.

Just to clarify - from a strictly yellow cake mix (typically add oil), I think they are all similar. The Duncan Hines I prefer is the Golden Butter Recipe - for me, this one is far better in taste. But you do have to mix for a full 4 minutes (I use 3 on my KA stand mixer - not marked, but between 2 and 4).

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 41

I only use Pillsbury and used it for all of my cakes (tiered, sculpted, regular) and everyone LOVES them. Most people cannot even tell it's a box mix. I've never had an issue with crumbling and anything falling apart.

cakinallday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinallday Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:12am
post #12 of 41

Duncan Hines. It's the one people like the most...

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:16am
post #13 of 41

Pillsbury. And thats all she wrote.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #14 of 41

I use DH because I want to be able to add my own instant pudding flavor when I make a WASC recipe.

Pillsbury and BC have pudding in the mix and I don't want to add more.

I also find that I get more batter using DH mixes.

Rae

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:31am
post #15 of 41

Duncan hines, doctored. Best flavor, great texture, holds up well to stacking, and people like it more. plus you will get more batter and I feel like it's better quality the PB or BC. Everyone has a preference and opinion

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #16 of 41

My favorite yellow cake mix is BC Golden Vanilla. It's light in color, it is not overwhelming in vanilla flavor or fragrance.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #17 of 41

Duncan Hines butter recipe. Same results everytime and tastes great.

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:08am
post #18 of 41

Since switching from scratch only, I've been using BC with great results. I've not tried any other one, but it seems so many here have posted DH. I'm surprised..... when I was reading for recommendations a month ago, it seemed everyone recommended BC. icon_confused.gif Maybe DH and Pils are worth a try.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:10am
post #19 of 41

DH all the way. I add pudding to all of my cakes and I get consistent results with DH.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #20 of 41

I usually use Duncan Hines. My customers RAVE about the looks and taste of their cake. I don't like the lumps in the BC white at all.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I usually use Duncan Hines. My customers RAVE about the looks and taste of their cake. I don't like the lumps in the BC white at all.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

I always sift all the dry ingredients and have never had any lumps with BC.

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:15am
post #22 of 41

DH classic white. In a pinch I'll use the PB. I agree with some of the others, I get more batter using the DH.

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #23 of 41

I use BC. I haven't had any problems with it and I've done large stacked cakes and carved cakes with it. They have box tops too so its win win for me icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #24 of 41

I've used the white before, but hate having to sift it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:23am
post #25 of 41

1. PB, 2. DH, 3. BC

I like the Pillsbury best for flavor, texture and reliability. But sometimes I have to get one of the others for a flavor not available in PB. I did find that all of them come out better if I substitute butter for the oil.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:35am
post #26 of 41

Everyone has their own personal tastes and opinions on this, it's like Coke or Pepsi icon_biggrin.gif

mom2twogrlz Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:36am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneusmcwife

I use BC. I haven't had any problems with it and I've done large stacked cakes and carved cakes with it. They have box tops too so its win win for me icon_smile.gif

LOL!!! That is one of my swaying factors too!!! You must have kids too. icon_lol.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:27am
post #28 of 41

I prefer DH because it yeilds more batter. I always add a pudding mix to them and sometimes other stuff depending on what I'm doing. It always seems that grocery stores put BC on sale but hardly ever DH in this error.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #29 of 41

I prefer DH, but I have used all 3 with no problems. I just like the taste of DH better, myself. DH white cake (WASC recipe) is my favorite cake of all time. icon_smile.gif I've never had complaints with BC or PB, though, and my family doesn't notice a difference. They don't actually taste their desserts...they inhale them. icon_razz.gif

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #30 of 41

Pillsbury!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%