Crackle Effect With Fondant

Decorating By kanganurse Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 10:35pm by playingwithsugar

kanganurse Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake to look like stacked gift boxes...the boxes have the antiqued crackled paint look...any ideas how to do this with fondant?

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 7

have you got a picture of what you mean? you might be painting it on!
xx

cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 7

What about painting on a thin layer of shortening in a random type of grid pattern and then airbrushing over it. The shortening gives a resist to the airbrush?

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 7

Blowtorch it.

grandmaruth Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 7

I was so excited to see this question asked...i make real hatboxes for wedding gifts, anniversaries,birthdays etc.....and have always wanted to replicate them in cakes....then as i was reading some of these responses it came to me!!! why not roll out the fondant being used to cover the sides...and use crumpled up saran wrap or aluminum foil...press it over the fondant and once on the cake use a mixture of gold or brown coloring .thinned with vodka paint it on and gently wipe it off so the color stays in the cracks....I cant wait to try this if i do say so myself icon_biggrin.gif If you get to it before me please let me know!!!

grandmaruth Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 7

depending on how much you crinkle up the wrappers would determine the size of the crackle...personally i prefere the bigger crackle effect icon_biggrin.gif

Just noticed!!!welcome Kanganurse....this site is awesome!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 7

I would do the aluminum foil - it will hold it's shape longer than the plastic.

Maybe some rice scattered under it for more texture?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%