Heating Core

Baking By Colliegirl Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 10:40am by flowergirl1

Colliegirl Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:22am
post #1 of 13

Hi folks, I hope you can help. I have just received a heating core with my new pans from Wilton and want to know how to take it out of the cake once the cake has cooked. I've never used one, only the flower nail, but this thing looks like it will leave a big hole if I just pulled it out like I do the flower nail.

If I sound stupid please forgive me. I am technologically challenged.

Cheers Tina

12 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:44am
post #2 of 13

When you put the heating core in the pan, you fill it with batter (make sure you grease it.) When the cake is done, removing the heating core will leave a big hole, you put the plug of cake from the heating core into the hole.
That said, I don't use the heating core provided with the pans (for instance with the pillow pans). I use the flower nail, I haven't had any luck with the Wilton heating core so just don't bother.

Colliegirl Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:49am
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much pattycakes, didn't think of that. And yes the heating core came with the pillow pans, which I may add I am excited to try. I guess I am living up to my avatar image icon_smile.gif

I usually use flower nails as well, and they seem to do the trick. Have had no problems with them at all.

cakesnglass Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 13

I like using the heating core for larger cake 12"round and up. Make sure u spray the outside and inside well before placing it in the pan first then add your batter around it. It does not take much batter to fill the core a little more than half. Once out of the oven as the cake cools the cake seperates from the core and you just lift it out flip the core over and the cake comes out. Let cool slightly remove the top crust (if you have any) and plug the hole. I like to push the thicker part of the core into the hole so when I flip my entire cake out of the pan my hole is completely covered with cake. Cakes do bake much more evenly. GL

flowergirl1 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 13

I need some advice please,i bought my wonder mouldabout 14yrs ago i showed my neighbour the ohoto if it and asked me if she could one for her little grandaughter I was more than happy to do it,started to gather my ingrediants tog when I noyiced my heating core was missing I asked my neighbour`s husband could he help me bless him if he knew anything I could use as he is so handy on DIY he gave me a little piece that just looked like the real heating core,I baked the cake tested it with a skewer it came out really clean I was so pleased then i let it cool checked the centre it was so gooie it hadnt baked in the middle I had to phone her and let her down meant to say i made up another batch and redone it the same results again I went to the shop were i bought it from and the chap said they did not do the spare oarts he did check their catalogue for me but nothing,is their anyone had the same thing or could you advise me if their is anything else i could use thank you,

tiggy2 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 13

I wrote to wilton and they sent me a new one at no charge.

flowergirl1 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 13

hello tiggy2 thank you for getting back to me,I will get in touch with them once again thank you.

indydebi Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 13

I've never used flower nails or definitely not the core, so I don't think they are necessary at all. I'm sure they are helpful .... but not a "have to" item.

grandmomof1 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 13

I never liked the way a heating core made the cake look. There is always a gap in the hole between the "core" cake and the rest of the cake that has to be trimmed and filled with icing. The nails are less trouble and there is no trimming or filling in with icing. The core requires a little more work. I like the idea of less and neater work.

flowergirl1 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 13

hi girls do you think i should try the wonder mould cake pan without anything i value your answers thank you all

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:27am
post #11 of 13

u could just try the nail, it might help,

cheatize Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #12 of 13

My experience is that any really deep pan, needs a heating core- whether it looks like the usual heating core or is a rod. By deep, I mean the 3D pans, the Wonder mold, etc.... The core for these pans are completely covered in the batter- that's how deep they are. It's very difficult to get enough heat to the center of those kinds of pans.

For the usual rounds, squares, hexagons, etc... they aren't deep enough for the core to be a "must." Flower nails work just fine in those.

flowergirl1 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:40am
post #13 of 13

thank you girls i appreciate your comments(really do) you are all so good thank you x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%