What Method Do You Like Best?

Baking By heathers09 Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 12:11am by Melchas

heathers09 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:21am
post #1 of 16

I was wondering what method is the best tasting for cookie decorating.
ie: Buttercream? Royal Icing? Fondant? Candy clay? I'm finding myself overwelmed by it all.

Thanks so much for any advise.

Heather

15 replies
Nusi Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:46am
post #2 of 16

cookies!! if u want to stack then never use anything soft like butter cream.. royal icing is the best. and i dont like fondant at all ..
butter cream is best for sandwitch cookies..

linedancer Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 16

To each his or her own. icon_smile.gif I do fondant exclusively. I don't care for fondant on cake, but love it on cookies. There is so much you can do with it and it is instant gratification, little to no drying time. I use a 50/50 mix of MMF and MFF, it tastes good and is a dream to work with.

tastyart Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 16

I like to use either fondant or glace' icing. Fondant is fast and easy. Glace' takes more time but is nice and shiny.

rharris524 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:41am
post #5 of 16

I use glace usually but I've done fondant. For me, buttercream is just to fragile for cookies and I've never used candy clay

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 16

Rolled buttercream tastes the best to me.

Jenn2179 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #7 of 16

I like royal or glace best.

cambo Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:27am
post #8 of 16

Rolled buttercream gets my vote....or a modified Royal Icing with butter.

icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #9 of 16

I like rolled buttercream. I like the recipe from karenscookies.net. I like carrie biggers fondant recipe(delicious). I like mff(delicious). hth

tastyart Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 16

I've never used rolled buttercream. I need to give it a try.

tastyart Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 16

I have a question for those that use rolled buttercream. Is it stiff enough to bag and stack the cookies after decorating?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I have a question for those that use rolled buttercream. Is it stiff enough to bag and stack the cookies after decorating?

Not like fondant is. Rolled buttercream has fondant beat for taste. Fondant has rolled butterceam beat for stacking. Rb would go in a bag fine but you would want to be careful about stacking if there was a lot of texture or detail. Like you could stand them up to lean against each other but you couldn't pack them in or anything.

tastyart Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 16

Would anyone be willing to share their recipe for rolled buttercream so I could try it? Thanks, K8memphis, for answering my question. Now I really want to try it.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 16

Cambo, what may I ask is modified RI with butter? never heard of it. Is it more buttercream like? I know RI doesn't set completely with any fat, so do tell...

frankdiabetes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:10am
post #15 of 16

I like glacé for taste but to me, royal pipes better and I can get cleaner and better detail with it. If I feel like it (and I don't often do), I'll make a batch of glacé for flooding and a batch of royal for details.

Melchas Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 12:11am
post #16 of 16

I use buttercream with meringue powder in it only. They taste delish and still look pretty, but are a little harder to do elaborate details with. And you can't stack them. They do package just fine if you let them air dry for a couple of hours, the meringue powder helps with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%