Cake Dummy Layer, Supports?

Decorating By leafO Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 3:13pm by leafO

leafO Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:19am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend in January that will be 14-10-6 square cake. She wants only the 10' to be real cake and the 14 and 6" to be cake dummies. I've never done dummy cakes before. I know dummy cakes are a lot lighter than real cake. What kind of supports do I need for a cake like this?

5 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:35am
post #2 of 6

That depends on whether it will be a stacked or tiered cake.

More information, please.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:40am
post #3 of 6

drinking straws in the 10" will be plenty for the 6" cake dummy on top.

leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:56am
post #4 of 6

Probably none. That 6" dummy will be light as a feather. You could put a few straws or dowels in the 10" if you want.

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Probably none. That 6" dummy will be light as a feather. You could put a few straws or dowels in the 10" if you want.

That's the direction my thoughts were going in. If it's a stacked cake, it probably wouldn't need any supports.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leafO Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your replies icon_smile.gif I will probably do a few straws or dowels just 'cause I'm paranoid, icon_smile.gif and now that I think of it, the topper she chose will most likely be heavy.

It will be a stacked cake. She wants the dramatic look of a tiered cake but the wedding will be very small so she only wants the middle tier to be real cake.

The cake will be decorated in buttercream, how far in advance can I decorate the dummy tiers? The wedding is very close to christmas, can I do the dummy tiers in advance, box them up, and put them away until the event so I only have the 10" to decorate right before?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%