DivaNoelle Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of

Hi there...I am trying to find out how to make fondant have glossy finishing shine..I have seen it before, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

Does anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

8 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of

The only technique I've ever seen is Buddy Valestro using a clothes steamer. The big kind with the tank and a hose and nozzle. I have a small travel one and all that does is spit water and leave dots on the fondant. A quick steam (too long and you'll melt the fondant) will give it a shine.

sugarandstuff Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of

A small amount of Crisco all over the fondant does the trick

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #4 of

Some people have said vodka with corn syrup. Some others, Pam spray.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&printertopic=1&t=697640&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=8a863587441c389253cca9134455547f

Another advice:

Yes, definately the garment steamer is the way to go. It works like a charm but don't oversteam because your fondant and decorations will start to melt and droop!!! Another option if you don't have a steamer is to mix half corn syrup with half vodka (mix until corn syrup is fully dissolved!) and paint on with a brush. I have used this technique a few times and it really leaves a super-shiny finish even after it has fully dried. Good luck!!

http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/glass-like-fondant

Cakegirl313 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of

Their are a couple of ways to acheive this. All the ways that everyone has already said, or you can use confectioners glaze. Just make sure to buy the Thinner too since it will ruin your brush if you don't. I use Vodka a lot too but I don't add anything to it. Just straight vodka. HTH

Chasey Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #6 of

I don't own a garmet steamer, but I do have an iron!

I steamed 50 fondant leaves before placing them on cupcakes with my iron. Just test your iron first in the steam mode by holding it parallel to the table to make sure it doesn't drip or spit water. Maybe 6-7 seconds at the most is what I think I held the iron over the MMF cutouts.

DivaNoelle Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of

Thank you for all the advise.. I will be trying that this weekend for a cake I am entering into the Red Velvet Walk Cake Auction at the PattyCakes Cake Competition.

Thanks,

-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #8 of

Also gum arabic and water brushed on is another way.

kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:30pm
post #9 of

the steamer will give it a sheen, but not super shiney. everytime i use the steamer, it does get give it a nice sheen (and gets rid of any PS residue), but over time it seems to dull up slightly.

I brushed the nose in my dog cake with straight Vodka and that sucker stayed as shiny as the moment i brushed it on. if you want super duper shiny that is going to last, vodka is the way to go. btw, the alcohol evaporates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%