Stacking A Cake

Decorating By Savybee Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm by Savybee

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 14

What should I do when i make a 3 tired cake. Not huge. What should i put betweent the layers? And how should i support it???

13 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 14

Some people swear by SPS, the single plate system (I think that's what it stands for) it's infallible when used correctly and you can tip cakes and they won't slide.

Personally, I use bubble tea straws and stack on site. Never had a problem with it yet. Some others use wooden dowels. Either straws or wood, stacking on site is optimum. If it's not an option, you need a center dowel to ensure the tiers don't slide.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #3 of 14

You will need to put either wooden dowels or bubble tea straws into the bottom tier that have been cut to the same height as the iced cake.

Put your tiers on either waxed cardboard circles or foam core circles. Place the second tier on top of the bottom one. Again, you will have to put in the dowels or straws to support the top tier that have you placed on either the cardboard or the foam core.

You may want to also put a wooden dowel all the way thru all three tiers if you are going to be transporting it any distance.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 14

Edna De La Cruz above!

I love the way Edna does it. If you look closely, I believe she uses 2 dowels on her cake to keep it stationary.

I have started stacking with 3 dowels, sharpened and hammered into the cardboard cake drum. You can transport them stacked.
If the cake is small enough, I have had success with using bamboo skewers.

To each his own...
Hope this helps...

Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 14

Ok. Thanks everyone. Is there anything already put together that i buy and i just put my cake on it? Not trying to be lazy, but just wondering.

Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 14

OH. I looked at the video from tokazodo
AND THIS LOOKS VERY VERY EASY!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:39am
post #7 of 14

Edna is the bomb!
She's at Designmeacake.com, she's on facebook@designmeacake
and if you look at the other links on the youtube that I sent you, she teaches you the viva method for smoothing too and many more nice things to know about making cakes.

Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 14

I agree, she makes it zoo simple and easy, Thanks so much,

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:09am
post #10 of 14

I watched the video and I think she used 2 dowels also . Where did she find cardboard dowels ? Ive also wanted to find me some of those tea straws everyone talks about . I went to ebay and found some but which ones do you buy ? the ones I saw was tapered at one end ,wouldnt this be unstable ?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #11 of 14
Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the info!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:49am
post #13 of 14

I use the bubble tea straws and a center dowel. Never had a problem transporting, but I do stack the top tier on site. I place the even end in the cake and cut the tapered end so that end is not a problem.

Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks,leah_s. I already knew about that, but i still asked. WOW! Im wasn't thinking.
THANKS,
SAVYBEE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%