Toy Story Cake Ideas Without Using The Characters?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 5:03am by AngelFood4

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 14

Hi, I was asked to do a cake with the theme as Toy Story and I told the client that I can't do any characters do to copyright issues, but I just can't seem to think of what to do to the cake to give it a wow factor or to make it look like Toy Story without using the characters, I looked in the search and didn't really find any cakes that didn't have a character, I was going to purchase Woody which is the character which is the little boys favorite but they were out. The cake will be a 10 inch round. I almost just want to say go to walmart cuz I don't think I will give what they want, since it is a character cake. Any help would be great!
Thanks
Kiley

13 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 14

While not a round cake, as I was reading your post I was thinking about a toy chest with toys.

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 14

I don't really think this is what you are looking for since you said the cake will be a 10inch round. I had saved this picture a while back as I loved the cupcakes and how they tied into the theme. You could always have the client purchase the toys and place them on afterwards...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1720925

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 14

I have seen a lot of Toy Story cakes here on CC. Many of the cakers are dong the Toy Story Bed.

If you don't want to do the characters, why not just do the bed, with Woody's cowboy boots sticking out from beneath the bed? Like Woody got left under the bed?

Also..doesn't something become public domain after 'X' amount of years?
Are there copyrights on an 'Etch'o'sketch'? Or a Mr. Potato head?

Just a thought, not necessarily a good one...

mkight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkight Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 14

Maybe you could recreate the bed & the wood floor with woody's boots on the floor by the bed & his hat & other signature items on the bed.

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 14

I don't know if you're writing out Happy Birthday..but if you are you can make it look like the logo.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:58am
post #7 of 14

There are many stacked cakes that are based on toy story... may be you could do the favorite character of the b-day person. Check out my pic that I did for a buzz lightyear/halloween party. May be you can do something similar.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 14

Doesn't Luck's have a kit for Toy Story?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1870438

I think something loke this but in set off the two characters you cuoul put like the boots, the hat, a shuttle or any thing that you know is recognice on that character thumbs_up.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 14

I have seen many cakes on CC that use pattern to convey the Toy Story theme w/o using the actual characters. A tier of cow-print topped by a tier of yellow-red plaid for Woody, white cake w/purple/green accents for Buzz. Blue w/green stripes for the little alien guys.

EDIT: Here's the cake that came to mind. It is for a girl so it represents Jessie w/o a character:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1835823.html

The Disney store sells a set of character toys that are the perfect size for use on a cake. The client can pick those up and put them on the cake for you after it is delivered/picked-up.

Kristy

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:33am
post #11 of 14

I had put together a toy story design for a customer previously who later decided it was more than they wanted to spend, but I digress. My plan was to do a 2 tier cake with the yellow & red neckerchief that Woody wears draped over the side of the top tier & a molded woody hat & sherrifs badge on top, on the bottom tier I was going to make planets & stars in the same colors as Buzz and do the inscription ia a font to replicate the toy story logo.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:41am
post #12 of 14

I just did a Toy Story cake for this past weekend. It's the last one I uploaded in my photos. Like everyone else, I did the bed but I didn't put any Toy Story logo on it. The only thing that would tell someone it was from Toy Story would be the two character on the bed which the customer put on himself as they were his daughters toys. You don't have to use the characters.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:29am
post #13 of 14

Just make a 10" cowboy hat.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:03am
post #14 of 14

Toy Story has a lot a bright colors & many toys other than the main characters. I made a cake with cupcakes recently with this theme & found a lot of toys in the movie other than the stars. With a 10", I picture a wood base with the cake covered to look like the wall...blue sky, white clouds, white wood trimming up the wall (can't think of the name), then decorate the top with a few of the toys: ABC cubes with the kids name & a few tinker toy or log/wooden building blocks that are generic...think bright and colorful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%