Is Zebra Cake Sturdy Enough To Stack?

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 1:14am by madgeowens

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I've been dying to try a zebra cake. It's basically a swirled chocolate and vanilla cake. You dollop one kind of batter into the pan at a time and it's runny enough to push the other batter to the side to make "stripes." I can't attach a photo, but if you google "zebra cake" you'll find tons of photos. I thought it would be perfect for a jungle theme cake!

I was just wondering--do any of you know if this is sturdy enough to stack? I want to make a topsy turvey cake with styrofoam separators (i.e. the tiers themselves will be regular, but it will be stacked on slanted pieces of styrofoam). Sturdy enough for fondant on top?

Here's the recipe!

1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (whole, 2% or 1%)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Double Dutched Dark Cocoa

4 replies
sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 5

Hiya, I've not made that cake but would suggest that any cake can be stacked as long as the internal support system is suitable. The dowels or whatever you use hold the weight of the tier above so all should be good.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 5

by zebra cake do you mean with fondant and black stripes? If so, that does not matter, but as sweetooth said, proper support system with any cake

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

No, by zebra cake, I mean a specific recipe where the batter is half chocolate, half vanilla and runny enough that it swirls together to make zebra stripes.

Hopefully, it'll work!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 5

aha......cool

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%