Small Print For Cake Classes

Business By adven68 Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm by kelso830

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 14

I am putting together some info for cake classes. I basically want to say that I am off the hook if the class doesn't fill and I have to change the date of the class. Any suggestions of wording this? Does anyone know of an existing contract I could borrow from?

thanks,

irene

13 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 14

Here's a link to the Wilton website for their classes. Maybe there's something there that you can use.

http://www.wilton.com/classes/

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 14

"XYZ Cake Decorating School reserves the right to cancel/change schedule due to enrollment requirements. Should a change be necessary all enrolled students will be notified of change in schedule."

If you have to cancel you might want to put a blurb in the wording in regard to refunds if people have already paid for the class.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 14

FYI you are not allowed to use Wilton's Information, promote Wilton, or basically anything having to do with Wilton if you are teaching a course that is not theirs. I asked.

We are doing Adult Education courses at my school, and well I called to ask Wilton if we could make it a Wilton course, being I had taken all the courses and applied for a Wilton Insturctor and was granted it. I thought nothing of it.

The woman at wilton went up one side of me and down the other telling me that if I promote wilton, use wilton materials, or say that I am a wilton instructor with out their permission( ie wilton class).That they would sue me.

I have been rather upset with Wilton since this incident and have refused to buy any of their products since then. Which is a shame.

They were extremely rude. She told me I had to design the course on my own.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionsofprisms

...They were extremely rude. She told me I had to design the course on my own.

Phhhft on them. How hard is that?! To design your own class. Like they have a copyright on shell borders or something--phffft!

Why choose rudeness?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 14

Adven, I would write a statement that says you need X number of students signed up by XYZ date and that if that is not meet then you will either cancel the class or reschedule it.

I can total understand Wilton's POF, they spend lots of time and hours working up dummies, taking pictures, wording and writing directions. While they may not have the copyright on the shell border they would have the copyright on the information in their books, websites and so forth.

They have the right to try to protect their name, and their information.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionsofprisms

FYI you are not allowed to use Wilton's Information, promote Wilton, or basically anything having to do with Wilton if you are teaching a course that is not theirs. I asked.

We are doing Adult Education courses at my school, and well I called to ask Wilton if we could make it a Wilton course, being I had taken all the courses and applied for a Wilton Insturctor and was granted it. I thought nothing of it.

The woman at wilton went up one side of me and down the other telling me that if I promote wilton, use wilton materials, or say that I am a wilton instructor with out their permission( ie wilton class).That they would sue me.

I have been rather upset with Wilton since this incident and have refused to buy any of their products since then. Which is a shame.

They were extremely rude. She told me I had to design the course on my own.

Must've been the same woman I talked to. I called them one time to ask if they knew of a local source for high ratio shortening (I actually live close to the Wilton hdqtrs.) The response I got went something like this: "Why would I tell you that? We only recommend stores that sell Wilton products." ok, then!

Irene, the simpler the wording the better! But people expect this kind of thing for small, specialized classes of all kinds (yoga, crafts, cooking, etc.) But you should offer people a refund if you have to change the class date.

visionsofprisms Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 14

TexasSugar - that was not the point. I was a Wilton Instructor, and I was trying to get them to offer a class locally, to help promote Wilton, and she was rude.

I understand they put a lot of work into information. But honestly, when you come from a small town and the closest location to take a Wilton course is an hour and a half away, I was trying to offer a location for them to do it that could increase their business.

Not to be mean but I have seen you announce that you are a Wilton Instructor Technically by what the women told me, you are not allowed to Announce that, and they in fact could take away your "certification."

But Still the whole point is that she was rude, there are enough places that sell cake decorating products, that when a person is rude you don't have to deal with them or their company. Also, the "Wilton Way" is not the only way to do things, and many times there is a much better way.

To the OP, we have a mato where I teach called "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupid. Include pictures, diagrams and give them easy to follow instructions. Somethings that you think may not be that difficult, are extremely difficult to others.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 14

I can't speak for the woman or the conversation you had with her.

I can go off of what I have been told. I was never told I couldn't announce that I was a WMI. I've been one for 6.5 years and have never hidden it on any message board I have been on. I would also not have a problem going on to the Wilton message board and announcing that I am one. There are many WMIs that have websites for their classes that clearly state they are WMIs.

I have been told that I can not teach Wilton classes outside of the store I teach at. Wilton also doesn't allow the WMIs to teach non Wilton approved classes under the 'Wilton' title at the stores they teach at.

I'm not telling you that you can choose not to deal with them, that is your right. I was just explaining that I can see why they are protective of their name and their material. If tons of "Wilton" classes were popping up that weren't actually Wilton classes and things went wrong in the classes, then that gives Wilton a bad name. Wilton wants to monitor where their classes are being offered.

Wilton does do classes in supply stores as well as in some college settings, so they can be taught outside of craft stores. But the store/school has to be the ones that contact them, and I'm sure there are some agreements to abide by.

I've never claimed the Wilton Way is the only way. I've said many of times on this message board and about cakes in general that there are many different ways to do something and what works for one doesn't always work for others. When it comes to cake decorating I don't see one way the right way or the wrong way, I full believe people need to figure out what does work for them.

visionsofprisms Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 14

Adven, this is what we just ran at our school. I had 4 people sign up and we needed 8 we refunded their money, and told them that we appreciated their interest but just didn't have enough people sign up. Please check back in the spring when we will offer it again.

Cake Decorating
Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30
6 weeks Dec. 1, 8, 15, 22, Jan. 5, 12
Registration Fee: $35.00
Instructor: ######
Learn how to decorate cakes for all types of occasions. Basic decorating knowledge will be gained from this course. By the end of the course students will be able to create elegant borders, beautiful flowers, made of both icing and fondant, create professional looking designs sure to awe anyone. Students will need to bring a baked item to all lessons (i.e. cookies, cake or brownies), frosting and decorating tips. Supplies can be found at Walmart, Jo-Ann Fabrics or at the Paper Factory.

As far as what will be taught I was going to panic about that tonight. But, since there isn't enough interest then I don't have to do the class.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone!! The enrollment is going well... i think I will take each class as an individual case. I'm charging enough where I will be ahead even if only one person comes, so I will give them the option. Plus I have so many cousins and my sister who will make great fillers! LOL

thanks to all....

[quote="visionsofprisms"]The woman at wilton went up one side of me and down the other telling me that if I promote wilton, use wilton materials, or say that I am a wilton instructor with out their permission( ie wilton class).That they would sue me.

quote]
I also have no intention of copying anything from the Wilton method...but what control do they have of someone using their materials? If they sell it to the public, they have no right to tell me I can't use it.

KISS KISS KISS KISS....I love that>>>thanks visionsofprisms

kelso830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelso830 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 14

What certifications/licenses/requirements does one need to open and teach their own cake decorating classes? Especially if the attendees bring their own baked goods to decorate?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso830

What certifications/licenses/requirements does one need to open and teach their own cake decorating classes? Especially if the attendees bring their own baked goods to decorate?

Basically, none. There's no certification for being able to teach. And classes don't fall under any kind of food safety certification needs.

kelso830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelso830 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 14

Fantastic... it's something I've been itching to do for a long time. I would think you may need a business license though, if expecting to advertise your services, etc.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%