Try Something Different? Sschtrudel!

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 3 Nov 2013 , 2:56pm by MimiFix

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 8:20am
post #1 of 15

Here's a link to a pictorial I did when I made a batch of strudel --I hadn't made any in a long long time and the dough should really have hooked around the edges of the table. Future batches did but you gotta get your bearings back huh.

But it's a cool pictorial and the stuff is absolutely amazing.
It's a miracle dough so much fun to make!!

So you'd click on it and then set up a slide show or keep clicking, read the captions.

Merry Christmas.

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 15

Kate -

Have you got too much time, or dough, on your hands? And what the heck, where's mine? I'll take apple or cheese (hold the raisins, don't forget the nutmeg), thank you.

It looks beautiful. Next time, get a really long table, and I'll teach you how to make sfogliatelle and lobster tails.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 15

I looked up the sfogliatelle--looks amazing!!!

And do you mean those things made with a combination of cream puff dough and another dough and they are rolled up rolled up rolled up real tight and you cut off pieces and combine with the cream puff dough somehow--piped inside or something? And then they bake kinda crackly & weirdy and you fill 'em with something??--I saw Buddy do it on his tv show--looks to die for !!!

I'm in!!! icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #4 of 15

Well, that's how he makes them. I used to make them the same as the sfogliatelle, but bigger, and filled with a mix of pastry cream and whipped cream.

For the sfogliatelle, I used to flavor the filling with anisette or lemon.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 15

Yeah--no worries--I'm in!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 15

yes this is an old thread--

here's some pictures because the link is broken--

tiny amount of dough

you can read the newspaper through it after it is stretched out

that's how much you cut off around the edges and discard after stretching

spread all the fillings and butter then roll it up

omg--so good!

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 15

ADo you have a recipe or link you would share? I would love to make this for my husband!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 15

you've got mail ;)

plus

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/96068-pictorial-on-magic-dough/?hl=%2Bstrudel#entry1314827

and more pictures here-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/105635633@N02/sets/72157636632674896/

the hardest part is getting your table all fixed up right--but once you jump that hurdle--wow it's so much fun--

it helps if you have a smaller table top 3 x 4--you gotta be able to walk all the way around it--and you want to be able to eventually hang the thick edge of the dough over the edge of the table so you can stretch it better from the other end--my table is too big so if i ever make this again i'll times the recipe by 1.5 to accomodate the increase--never tried that before--

i sold out making this for the holidays one year--

ps. i used clarified butter too

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

Do you have a recipe or link you would share? I would love to make this for my husband!

krypto, i squeeze as much liquid out of the apples as i can--and i also sprinkle a little flour onto the apples in the strudel before starting to roll too -to bind it up a bit--just thought of that--i used to use jonathan apples--then jonagolds--then granny smith fwiw--

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

sprinkle a little flour onto the apples in the strudel before starting to roll too -to bind it up a bit -

Or use leftover/stale cake and cookie crumbs. Sprinkle over the dough before spreading out the filling.  

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Or use leftover/stale cake and cookie crumbs. Sprinkle over the dough before spreading out the filling.  

i already gave her the recipe i use and i thought of this random flour detail--

i use the flour on the apples to reign in the 'apple juice' in addition to bread crumbs for mine--the crumbs help to retain definition between all the layers of filo-

i use the recipe from a famous pasty book i can't remember the name of--the author is bernard clayton?  i think it's the complete book of pastry--i'm sure you know it--they tell you how much in bread crumbs to use but i added the flour to prevent the flood--i like to use wondra so it's a real gentle binder--

i'm just remembering little stray things that might be of benefit to krypto--

MimiFix Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 15

So Kate, I'm an intruder? :mischeivous: 

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 15

AI appreciate all the help I can get. I plan on baking this in December so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Thank you Mimi and K8!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

So Kate, I'm an intruder? :mischeivous: 

idk, mimi, i thought you had an interest so i gave you the particulars -- there are of course many different ways to make strudel--this method is most technical to me--it is alwaysa huge thrill to me to get the dough to stretch like that--it's described as 'magic' -- 

MimiFix Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 15

Real magic is selling shortcut strudel to customers who don't care that it's not real strudel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%