Wants To Do Business On Line

Baking By teddy0826 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 7:23am by scp1127

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 6

I make cookies for local coffe shops in my area, and i am licensed to do so. I need to make some decent money this just isn't cutting it. I would like to build a web-page on sell my cookies on line. But what I would like to know is it worth it? Are you consistant with it? can you make some decent money? I'm just not good at the marketing end of it. Any advice would be great. I absolutely love what I do but I need to make some decent money or I will have to go to a dead end job I won't enjoy instead of following my dream.

5 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 6

Not worth it. If you google cookies online, you will find hundreds of places that sell cookies online. Unless you sell something that is not offered elsewhere, most people will go with one of the big cookie franchises because your shipping charges will not be competetive. Plus they have to find you online and that is not always easy. JMHO

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 6:58am
post #3 of 6

In order to sell online (across state lines and overseas), you need to be an FDA approved kitchen and register with the bioterrorism act. FDA guidelines also require a recall protocol, and the nutritional labels need to be ordered. My Dept of Ag helped me set it up.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:44am
post #4 of 6
writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

Call me paranoid but I would never buy any home-baked food from people I dont know on the internet.

Why not build your webpage, make sure you have very appealing close-ups of your cookies, and direct them to the coffee shops that sell them. Make sure you add in "exlusively sold at" and then list the places. The more cookies these coffee places sell, the more they'll buy from you. It also makes your business sound legitimate in that your cookies are good enough for restaurants to sell them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:23am
post #6 of 6

The only time I mail is if a customer wants me to mail something for them. Why not try that approach? I agree with writersblock15, that I would probably not order from an unknown on the internet, but the people who have tasted your baking are a great market. Remember... get approved!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%