3D Skate Cake - Need Advice

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm by bpmd210

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to do a 3D cake of a skate. I need some advice. I've never really done a sculpted cake before. It would need to serve around 20 people. I know how to sculpt the shoe and stuff, but the problem I'm having is with the logistics of the cake structure. How would I get it to look like the wheels are "attached" to the bottom of the cake??

Any advice on doing this kind of cake would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:31am
post #2 of 4
twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 4

I did see that one. So, basically all I need to do is make a styrofoam "base" (the same height as the wheels) maybe 3/4 the size of the actual piece the cake sits on to support the cake but still make it look like the wheels are attached to the bottom?? That's pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted to get some ideas from those who have actually done it!

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

Here's one I did. I cut out front and side templates for the size and shape I wanted, and cut a thin piece ofplywood for the base of the skate. That base is supported by two dowels in the middle, and the wheels are just attached with royal icing. I suppose a dowel behind each wheel would be more secure though.
The picture is on my profile in case it doesn't attach

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%