What Size Stand Mixer Should I Get?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm by imagenthatnj

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 16

Looking at stand mixers for my Christmas present to myself icon_biggrin.gif. KitchenAid sells 4.5, 5, and 6 qt mixers, which one is best for mixing like double batches of buttercream, I use WASC too, so I would like it if I could fit it all in the bowl! The buttercream is the hardest because I am having to mix it in a bucket because I am making like 5 times one recipe per weekend!

15 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 16

Get the biggest one you can afford. I switched this year from a 4.5 qt KA Artisan model to a 7 qt Cuisinart and it has made a huge difference. I can make double batches of everything--even double WASC recipes.

Also, I recommend looking at the Cuisinart models, not just at the KA. I love my Cuisinart and wouldn't ever go back to a Kitchen Aid!

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 16

Well I had the 6 qt kitchenaide, it was perfect. I could make3- 4 batches of buttercream at a time. Also no problem for WASC. My 3 yr old broke it and my in-laws just bought me a 5 qt. Which is really good too...but I love the professional 6 qt. When I can save up I will buy another ASAP!

latenight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latenight Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 16

I'm with Kara ... check out Cuisinart. Powerful. I only have the 5.5 qt but I love it. It's perfect for one WASC or one batch of Sugarshack's BC.

I don't do large cakes, so the lack of capacity isn't a problem for me but I'm kinda jealous about the 200 watt difference when you jump up to the 7 qt. Even though I have yet to find something I couldn't beat the hello dolly out of with the 800 watt motor on mine.

Seriously, check 'em out. They have a timer, too. Very cool.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 16

I can't give any info about the Cuisianart, I don't have one. I have a 6qt. KA and LOVE it! It has a 1500 Watt motor. My husband says I'm gonna dim the neighborhood lights when I use it. =) I mix double WASC in it and tons of BC. I also use it to make fondant without any problem. Can't imagine life without it.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

Get the biggest one you can afford. I switched this year from a 4.5 qt KA Artisan model to a 7 qt Cuisinart and it has made a huge difference.

Yes, agreed! I have a 4.5 quart KA right now and I think Santa's bringing me a 7 quart for the holidays. icon_wink.gif

I sort of wanted to get a Cuisinart or perhaps a Bosch but then my attachments wouldn't work- the pasta roller and ice cream maker aren't cheap, either!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 16

Santa just bought me the 6qt Professional from KA. It is great. I do a lot of decorated cookies and double or triple recipes of cookie dough or fonmdant are not a problem. I love it. icon_lol.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 16

I have a five quart KA Artisan and love it. I can do double batches of buttercream and WASC with no problem.

latenight Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:16am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I have a 6qt. KA and LOVE it! It has a 1500 Watt motor.

Which model KA has a 1500 watt motor? I was just on their website and the highest rated one I could find was 575 on the Pro 600. If I had been able to find a KA with a motor rated that high I would have been all over it. Maybe it's an older model that's discontinued? Thanks for the help.

Edited to get the name of the mixer right.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:45am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

Get the biggest one you can afford. I switched this year from a 4.5 qt KA Artisan model to a 7 qt Cuisinart and it has made a huge difference.

Yes, agreed! I have a 4.5 quart KA right now and I think Santa's bringing me a 7 quart for the holidays. icon_wink.gif

I sort of wanted to get a Cuisinart or perhaps a Bosch but then my attachments wouldn't work- the pasta roller and ice cream maker aren't cheap, either!

I wasnt aware that KA made a 7 qt mixer .. where did you find this or are you making reference to the cuisinart.

tastyart Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenight

Quote:
Quote:

I have a 6qt. KA and LOVE it! It has a 1500 Watt motor.

Which model KA has a 1500 watt motor? I was just on their website and the highest rated one I could find was 575 on the Pro 600. If I had been able to find a KA with a motor rated that high I would have been all over it. Maybe it's an older model that's discontinued? Thanks for the help.

Oops, my mistake. I wrote that from memory and was mistaken. I just went and read the side of my mixer. icon_redface.gif It's a 575 watt. Everything else I said about it was true. It works like a horse.

latenight Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 16

No worries, Tastyart. To be honest it was my husband who talked me into the Cuisinart and his reasoning was purely on the motor rating. I do love it...and now my only regret is that I didn't get the 7 qt. Even though I don't think it would fit on my counter under my upper cabinets icon_cry.gif.

It would have been nice though to tell him there was a KA with a higher rated motor though. Just as a, "See! You're not always right!" Sigh. So far his record is still pretty good.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 16

LOL Ya'll are funny....But thanks! I will check out all models I can find, I didn't even think about where I am going to store this thing icon_confused.gif I was looking at the cuisinart too, only the 7 quart...Lets hope our "Santa" remembers who cooks him all the sweet goodies and brings me a mixer for Christmas!!!!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 16

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a 7 qt Cuisinart. I have a 4.5 qt KA Uktra Power and I'm sick of having to make half batches of my SMBC recipe and the NFSC recipe.

tastyart Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #15 of 16

I just noticed, latenight, that you are in west Texas. Howdy! I just moved from there. I certainly miss some things about living in the Lone Star State.

My 6qt KA didn't fit on my counter in my last house. I had one section of counter with no overhead cabinets and I had to use it there. I stored it in the pantry and lugged it out every time. That way I could tell myself that I'd done my weightlifting every time I baked.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 16

7qt Cuisinart. Latest KA are not as good as grandmothers' KAs anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%