Pastiallage

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 2:14pm by -K8memphis

sccandwbfan Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 17

Howdy,

I found a recipe for pastillage (I think it was on this web site) and I have a question:

Is pastillage the same thing as gum paste?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Christy

16 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 17

No. Pastillage, while made with almost the same basic ingredients, dries super fast and super hard. It is best for structural components of sugar pieces.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Navyempress Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 17

Pastillage is like those candy cigarettes we had as kids. It dries hard but will break fairly easily if you're not careful. It cannot be rolled thin like gumpaste, but it is great for making structures and buildings, like playingwithsugar said.

sccandwbfan Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you both. I tried to google for that answer, but couldn't come up with anything.

Christy

jenmat Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 17

Pastillage is awesome for fairly thick pieces, but very brittle if made too thin. It also makes a GREAT glue if you add water and pop it in the microwave.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 17

Best intro to pastillage I've ever read...little bit long.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69493-demo-intro-to-pastillage/

icer101 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 17

i use it to make people , table, ets, i have a pic in photos of the ace of cakes people , I made all them and tables, etc, cakes with pastiallage. i love working with it. i have a friend that makes all her flowers with it , because she likes that they don,t break as easy as g/p flowers. hth i also used it to make my wagon and mixed it with g/p to make my tractor this year. i am going to start using it to make my flowers and leaves,etc. for the cakes i enter the fair with. it is hot , humid,etc. always that month(oct) and some of my peices get soft(g/p) and mess up. anyway,i do love to work with it.

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Best intro to pastillage I've ever read...little bit long.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69493-demo-intro-to-pastillage/

Hey, you, get out of my e-gullet! Just kidding thumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 17

Theresa, did you write that article? So much patience to explain all that!

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 17

No, I'm just joking around, getting a bit territorial over that forum in general.

Most of those articles are written by professional chefs. I love it there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #11 of 17

Well some are pros. I mean I've written several things over there & I don't consider myself a chef. I'm a professional cake decorator and a baker. It's got stuff written by tons of different foodies some of whom are chefs. They have also lost tons of members too. Used to be loaded with folks.

What's your name over there, Theresa?

Guess mine. icon_lol.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:17am
post #12 of 17

I'm going to hang around there more often then. I love cooking. I've been there occasionally.

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 12:34am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Well some are pros. I mean I've written several things over there & I don't consider myself a chef. I'm a professional cake decorator and a baker. It's got stuff written by tons of different foodies some of whom are chefs. They have also lost tons of members too. Used to be loaded with folks.

What's your name over there, Theresa?

Guess mine. icon_lol.gif

I already know yours, girlfriend.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Stitches Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:05am
post #14 of 17

Hi K8!!! I've been meaning to say hello ever since I noticed you here. I love reading your posts, you always bring logic and common sense into the conversation.

W. DeBord

P.S. The only thing worth reading over there anymore is VERY advanced chocolate work.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:18am
post #15 of 17

Wendy!!! Hey--Great to 'see' you!!! You still pastry chefin' at the country club??? Gosh I remember the big big big spreads you'd do--so cool!!!!

re: your PS. >>and so true about egullet & the chocolate work--not to mention favorite oldies but goodies by you & me!!! icon_lol.gif

Stitches Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 17

I got layed off from my last Club. Thinking about opening my own place but moving extremely slow in this economic time. I can't find the perfect location at the right price and I'm not jumping unless ALL the stars aline.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 17

Well shoot on the lay off! And for sure about these tough times. I could never get it together when things were good much less now. Methinks the stars ain't gonna be in line for some time. But if the skies above Memphis start looking promising--I would so pitch in and help you launch!

Great to touch base with you, CakeBuddy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%