No More Crunchy Cake Edges!!!

Baking By multilayered Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 4:44am by sillywabbitz

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 7

This works like a dream if your edges are a bit harder than you prefer (not burnt!!) Every once in awhile even when my cake is baked perfectly the edges are a little hard..I really don't like trimming them because it alters the size of the cake. Here's what I've tried and it works great!! Once your cakes are out of the oven and are just warm to the touch wrap them in plastic wrap for 2-4 hours (or if possible over night). When you unwrap them VOILA your crispy edges are now as soft as the resat of the cakeicon_smile.gif!!!

6 replies
Lisa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa23 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 7

Thanx! I could really use this tip because when I try leveling my cakes it always gets a little harder when there's a crispy edge. The whole cake feels like it's wobbling as I'm "sawing" across.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 7

I wrap and freeze my cakes when they are still warm so my edges are never hard.
Thanks for posting the tip.

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for posting that. I made a german chocolate cake this weekend and the edges were not all the way right. I trimmed them. I will use this in the future.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

Glad to help....I actually found out it worked by accident! I had baked my cakes and the edges were crispy icon_sad.gif but I was going to ice them when I realized I was out of Confectioners Sugar...so I could not make my icing. So I wrapped the cakes overnight until I could buy the sugar when I unwrapped them I was thrilled to find they had softened. I've done it ever sinceicon_wink.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try this!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:44am
post #7 of 7

Also I found if I use the homemade cake release my edges are not near as crispy if you use the non stick sprays. It has made a huge difference in not only the top edges but the sides and bottom of my cake.

For those not familiar with homemade cake release, it's equal parts shortening, flour and veg oil. Mix it good and apply to pans with a pastry brush. It's awesome and no messicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%