How Do I Freeze Frosted Cake For A Three Tier Wedding Cake?

Decorating By mjmcmahon Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 3:44pm by leily

mjmcmahon Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 3

I am vegan, and I want to make my own wedding cake (1 because Im trying to save $$ and 2. I dont know any bakers that will make a vegan cake). I have quite a bit of experience baking, but I have never done a tiered cake. I would like to do a 3-tiered lemon and white chocolate cake with buttercream icing, lemon filling, and crushed lemon candy pressed into the outside of the cake. I have a couple of questions:

1.   I have a great bundt cake recipe (lemon). Bundt is fairly dense, but soooo good. Can I use it in a tiered cake or is it too heavy? Also, when using a bundt cake recipe in a 12m 9 or 6 springform pan, should I keep the temperature the same as if I was baking it in a bundt pan or do I need to bake it longer?

2.  I wanted to make my cake in advance and freeze it. Im doing a LOT of my own stuff for this wedding to save money, so I need to do as much in advance as possible, otherwise I will be freaking out in the two days before if there is too much left to do, which would not be good!

a.  Can I bake and frost each tier, freeze them, and do the final assembly/touch ups a few days in advance?

b.  If it is possible to freeze my cakes frosted, how do I defrost them without having them sweat.

c.  if I opt only to freeze the baked cake and frost two days before, how do I store the cake on the counter?

d.  How do I transport the cake to the event?!?!? I know all about how I have to stabilize the cake. Im ok with that. Im just wondering how do I cover it three tiers is pretty high. How do I get it to my event without wrecking the icing?

2 replies
brincess_b Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:52am
post #2 of 3

i say get practicing! (and the need to practice means costs add up, so it might not save you as much as you think)

1) i know some people have used bundt recipes with and without success. some of them are not normal cake recipes,s ome of them are. try it and see! most cakes bake at around 325-350.

2) decorating sponges means you will really be decorating the day before your wedding.
a) yes. im not a keen cake freezer (not all cakes freeze well either). freezing ti with icing and expecting it to come out perfect means you might have some extra last minute stress. although at least it sounds like your design will be good for hiding problems!
b) they will sweat. fact. you can minimise this by freezing the cake well wrapped, and hopefully in a box (will need a lot of freezer space). let it defrost fully in its container. this way the condensation should form on the box, not the cake.
c) as long as you dont use perishable fillings, on the counter will be fine. preferably in cake boxes to help protect it.
d) up to you if you want to deliver it stacked, or unstacked (and how early will the venue let you in? will the cake table and stand be ready, or will they store it somewhere - importance of pictures to prove cake was in good condition when you left it). unstacked you can get the regular cake boxes. stacked, you can buy cake boxes in tall sizes, or craft your own. as for stacking, maybe look into SPS as well.

leily Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

you say you already have a plan to stablize the cake. I HIGHLY suggest the SPS system. It is a very very easy to use support system to make tiered cakes and will make transporting and setting up a breeze. You can transport all set up with the SPS system (just make sure you put it on a FLAT surface in your vehicle, not the seat, and DON"T have someone try to hold it)

You can find more information about it in this thread. There is also info on where you can buy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%