Pudding And Sourcream Too Much?

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm by sweetmonkeycheese

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 4

So the cakes I have been making ( I am new and just hobbiest) I have done both pudding and sourcream and while that is good, they are quite dense and sometimes too moist. If I wanted them a lil less moist wh/ would you omit and if I omit the sourcream would I have to change flour amount or increase oil ect.

My thouht is to omit the sourcream as I think that is why they are so moist and I like the idea that the pudding addes another layer of flavor.

Also I do the doctored up cake box cakes if that needs to be known.

3 replies
multilayered Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 4

I would only use one or the other. Not only does sour cream and pudding add moisture to the cake they also thicken it a bit. I think both would make a very dense cake. I would omit one...just use pudding or sour creamicon_smile.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Well all you can do is try to cut down on the sour cream. That may help but with out knowing your recipe it's hard for anyone to tell you. I have a recipe with both pudding and sour cream. I like the cake it's a little more dense but this cake is sturdy enough to carve and stack. So I love it! But you can have cakes that are a little on the wet side and can't be used for stacking because they won't hold up, they squish. I I were you I would try cutting back on the sour cream. Hope that helps! Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyoungbl00d5

Hi Well all you can do is try to cut down on the sour cream. That may help but with out knowing your recipe it's hard for anyone to tell you. I have a recipe with both pudding and sour cream. I like the cake it's a little more dense but this cake is sturdy enough to carve and stack. So I love it! But you can have cakes that are a little on the wet side and can't be used for stacking because they won't hold up, they squish. I I were you I would try cutting back on the sour cream. Hope that helps! Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking about that, there have been using a few different recipes .. I guess i have gravitated to the ones w/ both (it just sounds so good) I was thinking about halving the amount and seeing how that would be.

I am throwing together a bunt cake for work for someone I am not fond of so i was just gonna do the box as directed, I think having undoctored box cake will also help me understand the difference the pudding and sourcream is adding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%