Wasc Red Velvet????

Baking By mareg Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 5:45am by tryingcake

mareg Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 9

Is there a red velvet version of WASC? Anyboy know it or try it?

8 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

Look for MacsMom WASC variations. She has a RV recipe. it makes LOTS of batter, so you may have to half it. I have made it before and it's really good and moist. Not a bright red color due to the amount of chocolate in it.

mareg Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks I wil look for it.

Corrie76 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 9

I use WASC for my redvelvet- I just skip the almond extract, double the vanilla and use one chocolate cake mix and one white, instead of two white boxes. also, I add about a TBS of red gel color. I personally don't think RV is that great, but I get so many requests and rave reviews on the recipe so who am I to complain?

sweetcakes Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 9

Ive also used the DH RV cake mix with the wasc recipe without the almond it comes out great, but again it has no distinct flavour, dont really know why people pick it.

mareg Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks. I will be trying out this soon! I have a wedding cake in Feb.

tryingcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:31am
post #7 of 9

You can use the WASC recipe with absolutely any cake mix flavor. Just change the "A" to any complimentary extract flavor.

Manderly42 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:40am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

Ive also used the DH RV cake mix with the wasc recipe without the almond it comes out great, but again it has no distinct flavour, dont really know why people pick it.

Did the same with the DH Red Velvet mix for our NYE party. I think people pick it because it SOUNDS like it would be better... Maybe they think red VELVET = rich and dreamy chocolate? That's the only reason I can think as to why people pick it. Otherwise you are right - no distinct flavor!

tryingcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #9 of 9

I've made the same recipe but used green food coloring for St Patty's Day. No one knew it tasted the same - it's all psychological.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%