post #1 of 11

People say they use sps to stack cakes - what is that

10 replies
sewsweet2 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 11

single plate support

CWR41 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 11

Single-plate separators. You can read the instructions posted by leah_s in the blue folder "sticky" on the top of the cake decorating forum page... scroll to page 15.

icer101 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 11

hi, look under forums. then how do i, then a sticky will be on this sps tutorial by Leah_s. hth gsa sells this system, bakery craft and also oasis sells one like it.

CWR41 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 11
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone!

SPS = Single Plate Separator
It's a system made by Bakery Crafts to support cakes. There's a companion delivery box system also.

I *highly* recommend Oasis Supply. You can use this link to a coupon for 10% off! http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1%7E%2ECAKE+CENTRAL

poohsmomma Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 11

I'm only a hobbyist, but I have used SPS and love it. I never have to worry about the cake falling apart when it leaves my house. Since I mainly do cakes for family birthdays, I get the pieces back, stick them in the dishwasher, and reuse them even though I know they are meant to be disposable. (And they are so cheap that you don't mind.)
Thanks Leah_s for spreading the word.

doodles99 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

Thank you for the sps definition!!!
I've looked at the instructions and visited oasis. This looks like a really good thing to use. I'm not sure how many legs I'll need.
My girls and I are making a real wedding cake for a friend. It's going to be 5 layers (16,14,12,10, and 8") and we have to travel 4 hours with it (TN to NC). Should I put the bottom layer on one of these plates too? I can't tell in the pictures, do the larger square plates have more than 4 supports for the layer?
I am thinking about putting each layer in its own box to take it safely through the curves and mountains. Is this a good idea? I'm really nervous and want to do all I can to make sure this cake will look good and not fall.
Thank you all!!

CWR41 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodles99

It's going to be 5 layers (16,14,12,10, and 8")

5 tiers or 5 layers?

Quote:

Should I put the bottom layer on one of these plates too?

I wouldn't. You'll probably want to use a cake drum or covered plywood for more support. (I think a base cake on plastic looks tacky.)

Quote:

do the larger square plates have more than 4 supports for the layer?

I'm not sure about the large squares, but some of the larger rounds do have more than 4 supports, but I think that's for the Coast plates (can't find the info now). It shouldn't matter because the largest you'll be using would be a 14" or 15" plate and I believe the extra supports are only with the 16" or greater size.

Quote:

I am thinking about putting each layer in its own box to take it safely through the curves and mountains. Is this a good idea?

Whatever you're comfortable with. You should have no worries with using the SPS, but keep in mind that you can only lift so much (without help), so you might need to consider assembling at least two sections at the venue if the weight is an issue.

leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 11

I think it the 16" or 18" that has 5 legs. Other than that every plate takes four legs. And NO, don't use a SPS plate, or any plastic plate as the base. As stated above, use a cake drum, covered masonite or covered plywood. And go ahead and stack at least the bottom couple of tiers. (You are talking about tiers and nor layers, right?) That's part of the point of SPS. But remember, you do have to be able to lift it.

doodles99 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:33am
post #11 of 11

Sorry about that - it's 5 tiers. icon_redface.gif
I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me!!! After the cakes are ready I'll see how heavy they are and how many we can safely carry. Everyone seems to have a lot of confidence in the SPS, so that's what we'll use. I'm pretty sure I can get a cake drum locally, so I won't have to order that. Can't thank you enough!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%