Wire-In-Cake Question

Decorating By tsal Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm by costumeczar

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

So I know not to stick wires directly in my cakes, but I have the following questions:

If I use coffee stir sticks to cover the wire, do I have to bend the stir stick at the end to avoid the wire sticking out of the bottom of the stir stick into the cake? Also, if I do use a stir stick, won't it create a hole in my fondant when I push it through? How do I avoid this?

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

No matter what you use for support, you are going to make a hole in your fondant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

the hole in the fondant isn't the issue, its having something that is not food safe inserted into a cake - ie a non sterile wire. I'd say the stir stick suggestion may well work and yes you would have to ensure that wire could not come into contact with the cake.

hope that this is useful. I always use Posy Picks when I have wires that need to go into the cake

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry

the hole in the fondant isn't the issue

I guess you missed this part of OP's post. Apparently it's an issue to him/her -

"Also, if I do use a stir stick, won't it create a hole in my fondant when I push it through? How do I avoid this? "

OP -

Insert the stir stick first, then thread the wire through the hole.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

Instead of bending the stirrer, can you fill the end of it with say royal icing or fondant/gumpaste and let it dry to create a "stopper"? Maybe you can cover/hide the hole with a fondant/buttercream decoration of some kind.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry

the hole in the fondant isn't the issue, its having something that is not food safe inserted into a cake - ie a non sterile wire. I'd say the stir stick suggestion may well work and yes you would have to ensure that wire could not come into contact with the cake.

This particular post's issue is the hole, not the wire (that's why I started off saying, 'I know not to stick wires directly in my cakes').

icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 7

You could always just use melted chocolate to stick the gumpaste to the cake and avoid inserting anything into it. It will dry rock hard and you won't be able to reposition the flowers without tearing the fondant, though. No holes, but a different issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%