High Heel Boots

Decorating By chocolatestone Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 7:42am by -K8memphis

chocolatestone Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a pair or high heel boots out of RKT. I am stuck on the sole. Would I need to make a gumpaste sole first and then mold the RKT onto the sole or can I make the entire boot including the sole and high heel from RKT. Any ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 9

I used a foam core sole due to transportation issues--it was an involved thing. But I think rkt would work great for the sole.

If it was me I'd make them uber dense by loosing the air in the rice krispies and whirling them in the food processor before making them into rkt. I would use a dowel in there for the sole and I'd make the boot part with pound cake.

Some folks use chocolate in their rkt for strenghth--I use 5 cups of rk instead of the 6 cups--it makea a wonderful medium for this.

I would get the rkt formed into the shape roughly--squish it all together real tight and let it set up then trim and sculpt it off to make the sole & heel--I'd dowel the arch. Or use a twizzler or something just for sanity's sake. Twizzler if you wanted it 100% edible.

I gotta picture somewhere...

-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 9

Oh you said gum paste--me, I would use either fondant + cornstarch that was dried out real good or candy clay. Reason being, gum paste will crack and the fondant + cornstarch ahs a tiny bit more or give in it.

I'd make it thinner right around the edge so the visible part looks like a real sole but that's just moi. You can cover up the thicker part with cake or rkt.

Those are some ideas.

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

I would use pastillage for the sole, instead. It's much firmer than gumpaste or fondant.

There are lots of recipes for pastillage on the 'Net.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 9

It's more of a low heeled boot but gives an idea--hard to see the heel I guess.

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 9

I sketched a boot design about 4 years ago, which is very similar to the one you're showing, Kate. Mine is a two-tone boot with flowers cascading down the front.

One day I'll actually make it. I keep forgetting to order the dummies I need, as I want to make it for display.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 9

I was gonna do flowers down the front too but I found a picture of a boot with those buttons and I fell in love with the little buttons and it's scalloped where the buttonholes are-- I faced the black fondant with white fondant so the scallops were gently outlined in white. If I do say so myself it was outstanding.

I popped it out in less than eight hours along with a sugar sculpture and a Monet and a 3-tier cake which included making a stencil for the certification process I atempted at ices one year. I din make the certification but I sure kicked out the jams on the decorating!!!

chocolatestone Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:29am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys you have been a help. K8memphis your boot is lovely. I am making the entire boot from RKT. I think I'm gonna try the pastillage suggestion though I've never worked with it before. Thanks Theresa. The foam core suggestion also sounds great but I wouldn't know where to get it from.

I'm thinking I will make the sole and heel from pastillage and leave that to dry. I will then make the RKT and mold it directly on the pastillage sole. I will then carve it once it has set. Should I make the sole using a wooden dowel of some sort. I hope this will work out. Thanks guys

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:42am
post #9 of 9

I've used pastillage a few times--I'm not seeing it as that sturdily reliable for the stress of being the base for molding and carving. I could be wrong but the sole could break where it comes down from the heel. It might be a great sole but I don't think it can withstand being the carving board. Just saying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%