Fresh Flowers Between Tiers

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm by leah_s

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:31am
post #1 of 6

Hi! I have to make a wedding cake for a friend who wants fresh flowers bewteen the tiers. I've never done a cake like this before. I presume I will be using pillars/plates to separate the tiers, but how do I adhere the flowers? I tried searching for answer on-line and saw floral foam come up but wanted to find out how to use them and what steps to take to ensure stability. I had difficulty attaching my file to show you the actual cake but here is a link to a cake with the same idea...

http://www.suite101.com/view_image.cfm/681928

Thank you in advance!

5 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 6

I have done several cakes with fresh flowers, and I just laid them in. Didn't use any foral foam, and it worked fine. The roses stayed fresh for several hours. I just wouldn't do this method for cakes set up too far in advance, I tried to wait until a hour before the reception. You could place a cardboard round on top of the cake and place the flowers on that, so they don't touch the cake.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #3 of 6

DON'T use floral foam, it has to be soaked in water. I agree with cathyscakes, you just simply lay them between the layers after you get the cake set up. Most fresh flowers will be fine for hours, but anything delicate you may want to wait until an hour or so before the reception. I have been using fresh flowers for years and never had any problems.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 6

If you dont want the flowers directly on the cake Wilton to a fresh flower ring holder you can see it at shopbakersnook.com

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6

Also since some flower stems ooze, you could place a piece of wax paper on top of the layer. Just make sure you leave a note for whoever cuts the cake so they can remove it first.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 6

ditto. Just lay the flowers in between. If you're using SPS, buy the multi-piece leg set and use the 5" piece plus 1, 2" extension.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%