I Am Bummed!

Lounge By retaunton Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm by JaeRodriguez

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 5

I just spent 2 hours taking an open-book Astronomy test for an on-line class and I only made a 72 on it. Totally bummed and totally spent. I have to say that I will never take another on-line class. It is too hard to teach this old student new tricks and I am not even old, yet! All I can say to anyone that is young and in school/college. Stay there and finish! It definitely is harder now, 30 years later!

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 5

It takes a great deal of discipline and free time to take an online class. I took several online courses when I went back to college. I waited until my son was done with high school before I went back, and struggled with the free time part of it.

I lost a lot of sleep, but eventually it all came to fruit. Then I got sick and couldn't work anymore, so advancement was out of the question.

Would I do it again? Heck yeah! Keep on trying. Get yourself a routine and stick to it.

I took astronomy online, too. Loved every minute of it. But then, I wanted to be an astronaut back in the days when girls were not allowed to be astronauts (or managers/CEOs, or doctors, or police, or firefighters - shall I go on?).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 5

I'm hanging in there. I'm currently taking 14 hours with two classes on-line. My college is a two year college with an extension school in a neighboring town. Most of the classes at night are on-line or Video classes. One thing this endeavor has shown me is that I need the teacher/student interaction. I enjoy the lecture, discussion/question format of a classroom. Unfortunately, for me Astronomy is one big bore! At least in this format. I chose it to keep from taking Biology. I knew I couldn't handle dissection. I have a lot of projects coming due, feeling a little stressed and overwhelmed and ready for the semester to be over.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 5

Online is not for everyone. I love online classes because I hate sitting in a chair listening to someone for 2 hours. However, I would not take a science or math course online because I know those are my weak subjects. I have to have someone who will answer my questions and problems as they come up- not wait for a day or 2 for an answer.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

I do think that people assume online classes will be easier then in house. (for the most part) I dropped out of every online class I had when I first started college because I could never (read: chose not to) keep up with my work. When I found out I was pregnant and needed to finish school to provide was the only time I actually stuck to online classes. It was so hard, I seriously studied every spare moment I had. I worked in a day care so nap time, lunch time, after I got home before I went to work. Flashcards were my best friend! Our format is set up where the teacher and students can have a chat room or message each other with questions as well, which was kinda cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%