Need Help With Letters

Decorating By joesgurl Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 2:07am by pmarks0

joesgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesgurl Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 5

Im making fondant letters for a cake, are there cutters i should use or is there another way of making them?

4 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 5

You haven't said how big you need them to be. There are lots of cutters out there. Wilton has alphabet cutterstha are about an inch high. Then there are patchwork cutters and othe companies too. Check out Global Sugar Art - they have lots. And Michaels carries the Wilton ones. Otherwise you would have to freehand them, or print out what you want and then make a template and use an exacto knife.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

I have had lousy luck with the one inch Wiltons letters. Even when I add a little gumpaste to stiffen the fondant, they stick to the inside of the cutter and some letters are mangled when I use a toothpick to release them. Same (worse, really) results with straight fondant too. If I were you, I would try one of the other options suggested by the previous post.

joesgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesgurl Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 5

different sizes!! lol. that's why i didnt specify. as my cake orders are increasing i'd like to offer different size fondant lettering rather than writing in royal icing to "create" a size. the exacto-knife sounds like a good idea. would i just cut out cardboard letters and cover them in plastic wrap? or is there a better way? ( i just looked on the sugarcraft site and those letter cutters are wonderful for standard size lettering, thank you so much!!!!)

and cakegirl, have you tried dusting your cutters in corn starch? when i do use cutters that usually helps to keep parts of the fondant from sticking in them. just a suggestion.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:07am
post #5 of 5

I've just used poster board to cut out shapes/letters I've needed. I've not covered them but if you were going to use them a lot you could cover them in contact paper so they could be wiped off. But I've never had an issue. Just make sure to dip the blade of the exacto knife in cornstarch or powdered sugar so it doesn't stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%