Oak Tree

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 10:49pm by playingwithsugar

TPACakeGirl Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing an "over the hill" cake for my boss which is due Friday. One side of the cake is going to be green and vibrant. I would like to make a nice oak tree coming out of the cake which stands approx. 2"-3" high and is wide enough for me to carve some initials into it. How would I do that? I'm really struggling on coming up with a way to make the branches stick to the base and then how to add the leaves. Any ideas? I decorate from home, so I have access to very basic tools.

Thanks.

5 replies
TJCanadian Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

You can build the branches with wires doubled over, around a dowel center base, then cover the whole thing in modeling chocolate.

Isacake Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not a pro at all but I did a cherry blossom tree standing about the height you want a few weeks ago. I used modeling chocolate and I did not use any kind of support in it. I first made the base of the tree, let it dry and them attach the branchs one by one around it, waiting for each one to firm up a bit before going to the next branch. Was time consuming! I then proceed to attach each small flower using royal icing. Maybe you can try this, but again, it worked for me but I'm not a pro! I have a picture of the tree in my photo if you want to see the result.

Good luck!

TPACakeGirl Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 6

Is there a way to do this with fondant or gumpaste? I don't have modeling chocolate.

Sunshine0063 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 6

There is a picture tutorial here on cc, not sure what they are using around the wires, you might be able to pm the person to find out here is the link   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1732968.html

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6

If you only need it that small, you could probably pipe it from royal icing, but it would have to be done in stages

trunk
large branches
smaller branches
twigs

And I wouldn't go any higher than a 1 tip for the twigs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%