How Would You Handle This

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm by Elcee

rharris524 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:16am
post #1 of 9

My aunt ordered a cake (not from me...someone up in Minneapolis) for her son's birthday who was recently drafted into the major leagues. It was a baseball cap with the team logo and a baseball. She specifically asked to have his number put on the back of the cap. She was very clear about it and made sure they wrote it down, etc. The cake was delivered to the restaurant and after dinner the cake was brought out and there was no number. To her, this was very important b/c that is what personalized it to her son and she paid $150 for a 15 serving cake. When she called the bakery, she was told that there was nothing they could do for her (no partial refund, future discount, remade cake or anything). It was delicious and well made but missing a key component. How would you handle it? I'm interested to see how you guys would handle since I'm working on getting back in to the business. I'm sure at some point I'll goof and need to make amends. My first though was 25% off of a future cake...

8 replies
madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:53am
post #2 of 9

They shoulkd absolutely do something because they did not fullfill her order correctly. Otherwise, they will get really bad advertising, word of mouth.....not good at all for business.

pixiefuncakes Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:17am
post #3 of 9

She did not get what she paid for, she has grounds for complaint. I think in situations like this, good customer service can go a loooooooong way

-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

If it was a regular commercial bakery I think they should suck it up and refund $150--that'd be no big deal. If it was a caker then they should refund up to their normal price per serving--the cake was $10 per serving--if they normally will sell that cake for $3 per serving then she gets a $70 refund because I feel she lost the artistic bang she paid for.

My reason for the difference is because of 'how deep the pocket'.

edited to say that's a $105 refund if my math is right.

PrivateNameHere Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 9

I would expect something from the bakery. They did eat the cake, so definitely not a full refund, but perhaps 25% would not be unreasonable IMO. Not sure how to go about getting it though. If they don't care, well, they don't care.

CakeDiva101 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

My aunt ordered a cake (not from me...someone up in Minneapolis) for her son's birthday who was recently drafted into the major leagues. It was a baseball cap with the team logo and a baseball. She specifically asked to have his number put on the back of the cap. She was very clear about it and made sure they wrote it down, etc. The cake was delivered to the restaurant and after dinner the cake was brought out and there was no number. To her, this was very important b/c that is what personalized it to her son and she paid $150 for a 15 serving cake. When she called the bakery, she was told that there was nothing they could do for her (no partial refund, future discount, remade cake or anything). It was delicious and well made but missing a key component. How would you handle it? I'm interested to see how you guys would handle since I'm working on getting back in to the business. I'm sure at some point I'll goof and need to make amends. My first though was 25% off of a future cake...

25% off a future purchase seems very reasonable to me. I would have done that plus apologize. I hope they will do something for her, if they don't, is just poor business.

rharris524 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 9

They don't care...she's not getting anything from them and as a result they've lost at least two other cakes but that's besides the point really b/c they're going to do what they're going to do. Mostly I'm wondering what I would/should do in that situation so that if I make a mistake, I don't piss people off royally and lose business.

Thanks for your replies

cakesbycathy Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

Who did she speak to at the bakery? Was it the girl at the counter, the decorator, the owner?

If she complained all the way up to the owner and still didn't get offered some sort of compensation then a letter the BBB is in order at the very least.

Elcee Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

a letter the BBB is in order at the very least

I agree and would add a bad review anywhere and everywhere available. A careful, factual, well-written, grammatically correct review can go a long way icon_twisted.gif. In order for it to have weight, though, there can be NOTHING that the writer can't back up and NOTHING that would impy the writer is a flake (not that your aunt is, just in general).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%