Insurance?

Business By rharris524 Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 3:56am by Normita

rharris524 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of 9

I was working out of a restaurant for a while and was covered under their insurance so I didn't need to get a separate policy but they ultimately went under and after a nice break (went under right when I found out I was pregnant) I'm ready to have at it again. I'm negotiating the use of a caterer's kitchen but I'll need to get my own insurance. This is one step in the process that I don't even know where to begin and how much I'm looking at money wise. Who are you insured by and how much does it cost you?

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 9

State Farm and if memory serves I paid $85 or $90 per quarter for a $1mil policy.

cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:33am
post #3 of 9

Hartford covers me for something like $425/year for a $1 million dollar policy. While the exact amount of the policy might slightly vary state to state, I read a thread on here where the range was between $400-$500 annually. Well worth such a small investment for peace of mind!

cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 9

Hartford covers me for something like $425/year for a $1 million dollar policy. While the exact amount of the policy might slightly vary state to state, I read a thread on here where the range was between $400-$500 annually. Well worth such a small investment for peace of mind!

indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:55am
post #5 of 9

Contact an agent that sells commercial insurance (and most of them do). Insurance is contract law ..... there is a reason agents are licensed by the state after completing really intense training and classroom study (been there .... done that).

Also, many big companies are agent companies ... meaning they don't sell direct to the insured, they sell thru agents, so just calling the insurance company itself may prove frustrating and a waste of time.

Contact your insurance agent. He's the Shell-Answer-Man for this one! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 9

If State Farm is licensed in your state, call them. They actually have a specific small bakery policy that is perfect fo rus! Mine's about $250 per year.

kaseynh Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If State Farm is licensed in your state, call them. They actually have a specific small bakery policy that is perfect fo rus! Mine's about $250 per year.

I have State Farm as well for about the same amount.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl383

I also have business liability insurance from The Hartford (via Wells Fargo), and $425/year is the minimum premium, which means that you can probably add more coverage for the same price. We have a $2M policy for the same $425/year.

Normita Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:56am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I called my state farm insurance and they quoted me $500yr. I don't know if it's more because I live in California. Is there a specic name for that policy or do I just say "for a small bakery"? Oh..and I'll be renting a kitchen not having my own bakery...don't know if that matters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%