Syrup On Cake

Decorating By Woodruffbn1 Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm by -K8memphis

Woodruffbn1 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone put syrup on their cakes before they buttercream? How do you make the syrup? Sugar and water? Or do you flavor it? Does it make a significant difference in the moisture of your cakes? icon_confused.gif TIA.

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 7

Yes I do

I use equal parts water and sugar then boil till it's clear.
Then I pour some into a squeeze bottle and then add Grand Marnier (my default liquour) so it's about two parts syrup to one part liqueur (pick a spelling icon_smile.gif

Yes it makes a significance in my cakes. Moisture level too.

I slightly over baked a chocolate cake and added some plain syrup I think it was and it was fine. But it's a real fudgey cake anyhow.

I don't think it's meant to be used that way to restore mositure per se but it does enhance the moisture level. And I don't know anyone who doesn't like that Grand Marnier twang in there. This is similar in alcohol content to vanilla.

I think if something gets over baked the first thing to do is remove all the crust so the moisture in the cake does not rehabilitate the dry crust and the moisture stays more in the cake part--you din ask that but...

Woodruffbn1 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Do you use the same syrup for all of your cakes or just the chocolatey-fudgy one?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

I never use syrup in the fudgey one. That was the only time.

I always use the GM splash in my white cakes. Always. It's killer.

I use rum splash in my butter pecan cake.

It's really a gourmet thing to do I think.
Margaret Braun suggests in her fine gold edged book.

Normita Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 7

I also use simple syrups in all my cakes. I use the recipe in Peggy Proschen's cake...its 1 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water and let it boil. You can then add flavorings such as extracts or liquors. This technique has made a huge difference in all of my cakes....the taste is amazing and the compliments are always "this is such a moist cake". I once made an orange dreamsicle cake and used a simple syrup with orange patron...suuuuper good!!

Woodruffbn1 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your help! I'm excited to try your "GM splash" on my next cake!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

Yay!!! Margaret would be proud of us.

And put in the liqueurs to taste.

As for amount--you want to use a nice amount but you don't want a hot alcohol spot either.

Test some scraps --you'll be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%