Fondant With Gum Tex Help!!

Decorating By Manderly42 Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 11:56pm by Manderly42

Manderly42 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am making a cake for my daughter's birthday party at school. I am making Andy's bed, from Toy Story and just made the headboard and footboard last night. I mixed 1 tsp. of gum-tex with 1 lb of fondant. I have the peices sitting on a sheet tray in the oven with the light on.

How long does it take to harden? I need these for Tuesday. If these don't harden, I guess I will make them out of gum paste...

Any hints / suggestions, help is much appreciated!!
TIA!!

3 replies
Mrs_Olivares Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 4

hi there! i would just use gumpaste. usually the only time i will add gum tex to my fondant is when i need to create figures because the gum tex makes it slightly firmer but wont dry out quickly like gumpaste would.

carmijok Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 4

It will probably be good to go for Tuesday...however check on it tonight or tomorrow morning, and if it's not significantly firmer than when you put it in, I would back up with gum paste. It dries faster, but it can take longer if your piece is dense. Better sooner than later.

Manderly42 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks all! It is firmer than before and I'll leave it in the oven with the light on overnight. I can add these pieces right before dropping it off. It also helps that it is only ½ mile from my house. If it still doesn't seem hard enough, I'll make thinner gumpaste versions.

Thanks, again, for the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%