mamakasst Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of

I want to make a christmas tree cake this year and i'd like to try my hand at sugar christmas lights. I found the mold and it specified that it was for hard cand. I also have the recipe for the actual hard candy. I'd like to color the lights and have them be different flavors. My question now is what should I use for the flavors and the colors? I have found the liquid color and the oil flavoring online but they are expesive. Can I use food coloring and flavoring from the grocery store? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of

I mean you can use crushed jolly rancher candy too. Then stick it in the oven to melt. But I have purchased Lorann flavoring in my grocery store and that is what I would use. Not that they stock it--but just a seaional item found on a random endcap.

As far as grocery store coloring--maybe it would work--you would need to cook the water out of it or your sugar would stay stickier. Like let it bubble in the sugar.

So the problem is lights on a tree would be small so that's a lot of work to make enough to bubble all the water out for each different color.

But all that to say, a dear Cake Buddy gave me some cool isomalt stuff from It's isomalt sticks that are already colored that you just melt & use. Easy peasy.


-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of

They have an email address and a phone # too--I think it's ok to post this?


Comes in ruby red, sapphire blue, emerald green and diamond clear.

mamakasst Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of

thank you so much. i have a month so i can experiment. i may experiment with the crushed jolly ranchers since that would save time AND money. i'll also check out that website!

thank you again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%