Cuisinart 7Qt Standmixer - Quick Question Before I Order....

Decorating By SweetKath Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 4:53pm by imagenthatnj

SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 17

My 15+ yr old Oster Kitchen Center is on its last leg - Finally!! I've been busily researching replacements, and like everyone else narrowed it down to the KA 6qt Professional or the Cuisinart 7qt. The Cuisinart motor is what really won me over.

Unfortunately, none of the stores near me carry the 7qt so I have to order it on-line. I prefer to touch and feel before I purchase but..... So, is the outer housing plastic or some type of metal? In the video the top cover sounds plastic when it is opened and closed. How strong are the hinges?

Thanks in advance!

16 replies
Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 17

i have the 7qt and it is made out of metal! Very little of it is plastic!! I absolutely love it!! I had kitchaid and I love this sooooooooooooooooooo much more!! I got my from Bed Bath and Beyond and I ordered it in the store and used a 20% off coupon and it was delivered straight to my front door!! I also went to Giant Eagle to get gift cards so I saved money like crazy!!

SweetKath Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2085

i have the 7qt and it is made out of metal! Very little of it is plastic!! I absolutely love it!! I had kitchaid and I love this sooooooooooooooooooo much more!! I got my from Bed Bath and Beyond and I ordered it in the store and used a 20% off coupon and it was delivered straight to my front door!! I also went to Giant Eagle to get gift cards so I saved money like crazy!!

Thank you Mel2085 for responding so fast! I just placed my on-line order through BBB with 20% off and free shipping! I was lucky to have an on-line coupon come through earlier this week. We don't have a Giant Eagle near me so no go on the gift card idea. Can't wait to start my Christmas baking!

Mel2085 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 17

Just so you know you will need to get long spatulas and stuff like that because the bowl is HUGE!! It is big enough I have made 4 cakes mixes (not docotored up) at once! I have also made a batch of "wilton butter cream" that was 4 cups of crisco and 8 pounds of powdered sugar! You will be able to do ANYTHING in this!! I love it!! The best part is the timer....I can set it for seconds or up to 15 mins. and just walk away and know it is going to beep and let you know when it is done!!!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 17

Sur La Table has the 7 quart mixer for $399 plus free shipping.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 17

Oooooohhhh!!! I want one!!!

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 17

This looks like a SUPER GREAT mixer! I just ordered a KitchenAid yesterday - I never heard of this mixer - 1000 watt motor! WOW! Maybe next time I will do better research on mixers! And Mel2085 says you can do 4 cake mixes at a time, NOW I have mixer envy.

latenight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latenight Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 17

I know you got your reply already, but I had to jump in on this.

The outer housing is metal on the Cuisinart. You should totally get one, they are awesome! I love mine! It's super powerful, and the timer is an excellent feature. I think you will love yours, too.

I had a KA once, but since I stumbled on the Cuisinart, I haven't looked back.

SweetKath Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 17

I knew I could count on CC! I am one of those people that over-analyzes and researches everything to the nth degree! Makes purchasing very difficult and a long drawn out process! I am so excited - I will be counting down the next 8 business days, and hoping it arrives sooner. The best part - When I placed the order, I put the most loving message in from my husband! LOL! He really is the most romantic guy!

Another thing I like about the Cuisinart is not having a separate mixer, food processor, etc. I liked that about my Oster as well. Guess I need to shop a little more!

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #10 of 17

Can you do small batches in it or is it just too big. I don't always double and triple recipes. Thanks!

Mel2085 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

Can you do small batches in it or is it just too big. I don't always double and triple recipes. Thanks!

ya you can do single batches and they make up just fine! I do single batches all the time! It is great for making IMBC and American buttercream because the "splash guard" covers the whole bowl but has a large enough opening to easily add things!

People do say it is loud but it is because it is made very sturdy! I normally have music blaring while I'm baking or headphones in so I don't really notice!

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #12 of 17

I've had mine for 2 years now and love it!! No problems.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

ya you can do single batches and they make up just fine! I do single batches all the time! It is great for making IMBC and American buttercream because the "splash guard" covers the whole bowl but has a large enough opening to easily add things!

People do say it is loud but it is because it is made very sturdy! I normally have music blaring while I'm baking or headphones in so I don't really notice!

Thanks! I have a 5 1/2Q KA and have toyed with upgrading, but I think I will go for this one! It sounds fabulous!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 17

I have the Cuisinart 7qt (3 years old) and the 5.5qt (2 months old) and they're just the best thing ever. I bought my sister the 5.5qt as a present 3 years ago, and it works perfectly.

SweetKath Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 17

My mixer arrived yesterday! I'm unpacking it this morning but not sure I'll have a chance to play with it before next weekend. icon_cry.gif Perhaps I can re-arrange a few things....

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 17

When I get a new mixer I am getting this one. My KA is only a few years old.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetKath

My mixer arrived yesterday! I'm unpacking it this morning but not sure I'll have a chance to play with it before next weekend. icon_cry.gif Perhaps I can re-arrange a few things....

Make a batch of cupcakes! Or a small 6" cake! I used it the minute I got it. I got a second one, and I used it right away too...I couldn't wait! I just got an Emille Henry pizza stone and we're having homemade pizza for dinner tonight! I guess I can't wait to use the things I order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%