pouchet82 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of

There is nowhere around me that sells airbrush colors, and I need one or two colors that I don't have in airbrush form. Is there any way to dilute gel colors with vodka to this them out enough for the airbrush???
TIA

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of

You can try buy if you clog your airbrush you will have bigger problems on your hands...I wouldn't suggest it.

sebrina Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of

I have used gels diluted with HOT water before. I just put it in a jar with a lid & shake it up. Just be sure it's all dissolved or it will clog up everything. Hope this helps.

snowshoe1 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of

I've diluted colors with Everclear before, but make sure you strain through a fine cheesecloth or something. Haven't tried the hot water as suggested above but that may eliminate the blobs of color that don't dissolve.

cakesnglass Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of

I have used vodka as the thinner because it dries quicker on the buttercream surface, works great. I do mix it in a small container before adding to gun. Make sure you have hot water in container and clean the gun well right after. I also used this over fondant (suit case cake in my pic's) I did not realize the airbursh color set I bought had no brown. I used brown gel and vodka for shadowing. Good luck!

jenlg Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of

I dilute them alot. I use either vodka or clear vanilla, never had an issue with my airbrush clogging up. Good luck.

pouchet82 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of

Thanks guys, I will cross my fingers and try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%