Let Filled Cakes Settle In The Fridge Or Counter?

Decorating By zespri Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:54am by carmijok

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:36am
post #1 of 9

hullo

If I fill a cake with something which contains milk, would I put it in the fridge while it settles, or just leave it on the counter? I keep reading that the fridge is no friend to cakes, so I'm not sure what to do here!

Also, how long would you usually let mousse filling settle for?

T.I.A.!

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:47am
post #2 of 9

It depends what else is in your filling. Mousse needs refridgeration, so it will have to settle in the fridge.
Most traditional Bc recipes don't need to go in the fridge, the sugar safeguards the comparatively amall amount of dairy ( do a search if u want the more detailed posts that explain the science). So that would be fine o. The counter for several days.

As for how long to settle... Over night is hood. A few hours will sometimes do, particuarly if u put a weight on top if the cake.

Remember if you have a mousse filling you really want to use a bc dam too.
xx

zespri Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9

hmmm... OK, so what about if I'm doing the cake a couple of days in advance, and it has some milk in it. I guess I'd have to put the completed cake in the fridge, will that damage my fondant? oh lordy, I just realised one of my layers will have cream in it, that will definitely need to be stored in the fridge, right? Hope it doesn't dry out in there :-|

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 9

I use real butter in my buttercream so I refrigerate my cakes all the time...the bakery I worked for refrigerated cakes all the time. Refrigeration or freezing does not alter anything--in fact it makes it easier to decorate and the cakes are fresh and moist.

If your cake is covered in fondant your fondant will get sticky once it's exposed to warmer air, however leave it alone and it will dry again. If you want to avoid that, putting your fondant covered cake in a box and wrapping it with plastic will help stop it from getting moisture in.
If you have a cold cake make sure you deliver it in plenty of time for it to come to room temp.
Unless your fridge has an odor that can alter the taste of your cake, feel comfortable about putting it in there. I freeze my cakes a few days ahead and crumb coat them frozen then put them in the fridge between icings to firm up while the cake thaws. Never had a problem.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 9

If the cake or regular bc contains dairy it doesn't *need* refridgerated.
If u feel better putting it in there, then do.
As long as the cake is sealed (by icing or box) then it won't dry out. Although be sure it's at room temp before serving, most cakes are better that way.
Why don't you spend some time doing the research for yourself, that way you will have a better understanding of cake, icings, and storage options, and can then make your own decision that you will have the confidence to use, and the know how.
xx

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 9

The humidity in the refrigerator and the freezer is quite different. Unless you have a pro refrigerator and can control the humidity, refrigeration will dry out cake. And bread. Ever put your bread in the fridge? The freezer is different, plus, well, it freezes, so that all the moisture is truly locked inside. Ever freeze your bread?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

Hmmm...I'm currently mulling over the same question. I normally use a mud cake recipe with ganache because I know it's fine left out at room temperature...but I would like to use IMBC instead of the ganache this time - I'm hesitant though because of the do/don't refrigeration issue.

Let us know what you do in the end and how it works out for you!

zespri Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:04am
post #8 of 9

So this is the situation. I have six 2" cakes in the freezer, for an event at the end of this week. However I work fulltime and have a baby, so must prepare it all in bite size chunks. I have made all the buttercream, and as the cakes are three different flavours, each has a different filling. One will have dulce de leche - I assume I can leave that on the counter for a few days as long as it's 'sealed' with icing? It's hot here right now, will that make a difference? The other two will each have fresh whipped cream in them, as I am making mousse.

So I'm confused, if I want to make that ahead of time, because it's such a large amount of dairy, (not just a little bit of milk added to the buttercream), I mustn't leave it on the counter...? leah, does that mean I can fill the cakes, leave them on the counter to settle for a few hours, then put them back in the freezer, rather than the fridge?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I am finding all this a little baffling, and it's a three tier cake, so it's a lot of money and time wasted if I get it wrong.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 7:54am
post #9 of 9

I don't have a pro refrigerator. I use it all the time. I keep my cakes frozen until the day I ice and decorate. Then I keep it in the refrigerator until delivery where it thaws slowly. One to two days max in the fridge. Never had a dry cake. Seems to me if it's covered in buttercream, dry air can't reach the cake. Cut cake, yes. But even then, I've eaten cakes that have been cut and in the fridge for a few days and they're still moist. Of course they've been wrapped. Don't be afraid of the refrigerator. If you've got any question about your fillings, use it. It really won't hurt it! Just remember to deliver them at least an hour before an event so they can come to room temp before cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%