Ridiculous Cake Story

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm by JenniferMI

mcaulir Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:08am
post #1 of 8

My funny story for this week. A friend/acquaintance asked me to do a cake for their community organisation. I support the organisation, so no problems.

First the event was postponed for a month. I was still available for the second date (today, Saturday), so still no problems. When I first spoke to the organiser, she indicated that she wanted a big sheet cake - she indicated with her hands that she wanted something about 3 feet by 2 feet. I haven't done anything like that, and have no pans that size, so I offered to put two 8inch squre cakes side by side.

She rang me on Wednesday to say that one of the Mums would make the cake because she had a pan that size but would I still ice and decorate it. Still no problem.

She arrives Friday morning with two small rectangular cakes, which after levelling, would have been less than an inch high.

So I make a bucketload of icing and filled in and around the two cakes side by side so that it ends up being an inch and a half high.

She is supposed to pick up the cake at 9am this morning, and doesn't arrive until 2.30pm! The event started at 11.30am. I didn't have anything on today, so I was here, but still! She arrived and said, "Sorry I'm late". Late? icon_surprised.gif Late is 1/2 an hour later, not 5 and a half hours later!

My husband was working at the event for another organisation, and said she had forgotten to pick it up at all, until he asked her where the cake was at 2 o'clock. I wonder if she would have remembered at all.

7 replies
pixiefuncakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:59am
post #2 of 8

Oh my goodness, she doesn't sound like a very 'organised' organiser!

cathyscakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:11am
post #3 of 8

It would be really hard for me to let someone else bake the cake, so I understand your problems with it. I would be afraid of what happened to you. Most people don't put enough batter in their pans, and the cake is too thin, or it would be hard to work with. And what if the cake didn't taste good, people would think that I made it. icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 8

Oh dear!

cakesmart Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 8

Now that's a different kinda story. Hard to imagine someone forgetting to pick up a cake, which is usually a central part of the event.

Coral3 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:56am
post #6 of 8

Bet she wouldn't have forgotten if she'd paid for it!

mcaulir Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:39am
post #7 of 8

I'm just wondering how people felt when they took their piece, and it was a third cake and two thirds icing.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 8

WOW....unreal.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%