Guitar Neck/strings?

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm by FrostedFantasies

FrostedFantasies Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a guitar (replica of McCartney's Hofner bass) for a groom's cake in a few weeks. I'm fine with everything BUT how to attach/stabilize the guitar neck, and how to secure the strings. I'm very ok with (as is the customer) the neck and strings being non-edible. How did you accomplish this?
Any tips on what to do/what not to do would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
LisaPeps Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

In my guitar cake, the strings are grey cotton tied around tooth picks. If the string got slightly loose, I could twist the toothpicks to tighten it again. The neck I did as cake, so can't help you there.

poohsmomma Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 7

I've done two guitar cakes, but they were for little girls and not necessarily realistic. I used foam board for the neck. I placed one end on the cake ( a two-layer carved shape ) and then made a small triangle shape out of foam board to rest the end on. It blended in with the cake board and didn't show up too badly. I also think I poked two skewers into the bottom of the end that rested on the cake so it wouldn't slide around.

For the strings, I just used my fondant extruder. I used a disk with multiple holes in it, but used aluminum foil to cover all but two of the holes. That way I only had two strands of fondant to deal with, and they didn't stick together. I laid the strings out on waxed paper and painted them silver with luster dust and vodka. When the paint dried, I laid them on the cake.

Here's one of the finished products:

Hope some of this helps you out. Good luck.

cupadeecakes Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 7

I did a guitar cake a few months ago and I too had to figure out how I wanted to accomplish the neck. I finally decided to do the neck entirely in cake. To keep the proportions (because the neck isn't as deep as the entire body) I used black fondant to "mask off" the area. I thought the effect came out nicely. I just uploaded a photo of it so you can see. Here is the URL:

For the strings I extruded gumpaste with my clay gun and sprayed them silver. HTH!

sweetcakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 7

i make the neck from 1/2" foam core covered in fondant, i cut out an area of the cake so the neck sits flat, then i pipe the strings in royal icing using tip 2 and a light grey icing. using square dowels to pipe against to keep my lines straight.

cownsj Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 7

To do the strings on the guitar we made, we used gumpaste powder and thinned it a bit with extra water. Then we piped it onto the cake and it setup like any other gumpaste.¤t=Guitar1.jpg#!

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your quick (and helpful!) replies...I'll update when I decide how to finish it best!
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%