I Know It's Early How Would I Make A Christmas Tree Cake

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 29 Nov 2010 , 9:47am by Jennifer353

Christina1207 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 7

I know it's just after thanksgiving which I hope everyone had a wonderful day. But after looking in the gallery and searching in the forums I have not found what I am looking for. I want to make a upright standing christmas tree out of cake. I want something that is not huge but decent size mostly to be eaten into and a centerpiece. A little confused as how I would constuct this i would like to be able to put little presents under the tree. Just wondered about how stable it would be and I have no idea where to begin on this project

6 replies
cownsj Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 7

I have this Wilton 3D Christmas tree pan, and have used it for almost 30 years. I wouldn't want to try to transport it after it was decorated, but it is always a huge hit for anyone who sees it. (and the buy it now price on ebay is a steal. If you like it, I'd grab it quickly.) I even debated getting it to have an extra, why I don't know, but I considered it before posting it here for you... lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-Wilton-Hoilday-Candlelit-Christmas-Tree-Cake-Pan-/310267136985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483d5ccbd9

edited to say that I looked further and there are others at even better prices. Here is a page of them: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=wilton+candlelit+tree

cakequeen50 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 7

I use a doll pan and a cupcake.

LisaPeps Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

In my pictures, my first wedding cake called 'Chocolate Heaven' starts out as a cone shape. Its starts as 10-8-6 rounds stacked on top of each other separated with cake rounds and dowelled as you usually would. For the point I used a polystyrene cone with a 4" diameter. Once everything is assembled you just need to carve the cake in the cone shape following the gradient of the polystyrene cone. You can then crumb coat the whole thing and stick on the icing or use buttercream to decorate. You can change the size depending on the diameter of the cone, just leave 2" between each tier.

Christina1207 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 5:43am
post #5 of 7

okay how would I go about making santa's sleigh?

cownsj Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 2:51am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1207

okay how would I go about making santa's sleigh?

You could get the cookie cutters that make the different pieces and make it that way. I think they have the reindeer that will stand up as well.

Jennifer353 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 9:47am
post #7 of 7

Another idea for the Christmas tree - you could use different sized stars (carved if you don't have pans) decreasing in size as they go up? I've definately seen it done with chocolate rice crispy cakes. Using regular cake you would need to cut some boards the right shape too and place each layer of cake on them. Then as someone else suggested a cupcake for the trunk or something more sturdy might be needed if your cake would be too heavy. A stake through the height of the tree should keep it together.

You want the sleigh to be made from cake? There are chocolate moulds for sleighs or this idea from Betty Crocker is cute: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/santas-candy-sleighs/12276749-0163-4074-8e3d-361e56b76b80

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%