Stinky Frosting

Baking By bakencake Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm by 7yyrt

bakencake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 14

I use the crusting icing recipe by wilton and I have found that it has this rancid smell if I cut into cake or if I put the cake in a cake caddy. Is it because I leave it overnight with out any refrigeration? I thought that I could since it doesn't have any animal protein, I use water instead of milk. does this happen to anybody else?

13 replies
7yyrt Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 14

Is this the recipe from the class?
I always use it using butter (or half butter/half Crisco if the weather is warm). Everyone loves it, and I leave it out all the time.

Did you check your shortening and flavoring?

bakencake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 14

I dont think it's the shortening. It's happened to me several times even though I use different cans and types of shortening. Same thing for the flavor. It must be something Im doing but cant figure out what. I was invited to a party yesterday, when opened up my cake caddy the smell hit the air and I was embarrassed icon_redface.gif . This happens once in a while. cant pin it down.

mbark Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 14

I have definitely had bad shortening (just once) that completely rancified a batch of icing.

sweetideas Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 14

Is that the one that has meringue in it? I find the smell of meringue isn't so nice.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 14

I'd say check your vanilla.

I would test it--I'd make small batches and leave out each different ingredient and see which one goes south first.

I had a problem like this a long time ago and I think it was from some leftover vanilla simple syrup. The cake went through the wedding fine but the girl that took the leftovers home told me it went rancid. I never knew what it was but much much later I thought it mighta been the leftover vanilla simple syrup.

No offense and I'm sure this does not apply to you but in the great brainstorm effect of things... I have been in homes where the kids were teenaged and I promise you the household was using the same solitary kitchen towel they got at the wedding shower, scarey. And maybe they din wash it so much--I can still feel the creepy on my hands--agh.

So it could be something external--check for things like that. Is your water fine?

Totally just tossing out all possibilities. I've been there but didn't exactly figure it out. I just vowed to use all fresh made stuff for each order and I never repeated the problem.

newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 14

I have those Wilton cake caddies and THEY smell. Maybe that's the rancid taste/smell. I've noticed if I leave cupcakes or cake in them they will take on the smell of the plastic container. Wash your caddy really well and then leave it OPEN when you store it. If you put the lid on it for storage (like I did) the smell seems to come back. I've now gone to using cake boxes instead because the caddies will also trap moisture and I've had numerous batches of cupcakes that ended up kind of soggy or the icing would get too soft. The cake caddies are going to Goodwill next time I take a box of donations.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 14

Another way to get smell out of plastic is to put crumpled up newspaper in there & close it up for a while.

foodguy Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Another way to get smell out of plastic is to put crumpled up newspaper in there & close it up for a while.

......or, we soak it in a solution of hot water and baking soda, rinse and dry.

traci_doodle Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 14

Are you filling the cake with the frosting too? I remember once I filled my cake with pudding then left it out for a few days and it went rancid. Didn't even occur to me to store it in the fridge. Only made that mistake once!

bakencake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 14

traci_doodle, I am. I usually bake the cakes in the morning and fill them and ice them in the evening so they stay out all night. I thought you are supposed to do this to make sure they settle. I want to try using other types of icing like 7 mnt frosting and cream cheese but dont because I thought it was safe for me to leave this one out with out it going bad.

tiggy2 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I have those Wilton cake caddies and THEY smell. Maybe that's the rancid taste/smell. I've noticed if I leave cupcakes or cake in them they will take on the smell of the plastic container. Wash your caddy really well and then leave it OPEN when you store it. If you put the lid on it for storage (like I did) the smell seems to come back. I've now gone to using cake boxes instead because the caddies will also trap moisture and I've had numerous batches of cupcakes that ended up kind of soggy or the icing would get too soft. The cake caddies are going to Goodwill next time I take a box of donations.

DITTO!!!

cownsj Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

The cake caddie is what I was thinking too. If you notice, Walmart does not put them together when they are on the shelf. The lids are stacked separately from the bases. While I'm sure alot, even most of this has to do with saving on shelf space, it would also help to keep them from getting that odor. No one would buy any container that has an odor before they purchase it.

7yyrt Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 14

O-hhh.
I don't use a caddy, so that never would have occurred to me.
Yes, some plastic does stink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%