Gingerbread House Dough - Can It Be Frozen??

Baking By minkiemoo Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 9:09pm by minkiemoo

minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 4

Or how long would it last in the fridge??

I would love to make a couple of these for my children to take to their girlfriends/boyfriends parents house over christmas but I also have a 17 month old son that takes up so much of my day - I would love to be able to make up the dough over a few nights (when little man is in bed) then bake them all together on a different night.

Also if I wanted these to be ready to take on a weekend how far in advance could I bake and decorate them??

All advice gratefully received icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkiemoo

Or how long would it last in the fridge??

I would love to make a couple of these for my children to take to their girlfriends/boyfriends parents house over christmas but I also have a 17 month old son that takes up so much of my day - I would love to be able to make up the dough over a few nights (when little man is in bed) then bake them all together on a different night.

Also if I wanted these to be ready to take on a weekend how far in advance could I bake and decorate them??

All advice gratefully received icon_smile.gif

I make large batches of gingerbread dough and keep it in the fridge for a few weeks with no issues what-so-ever. Simply keep it tightly wrapped in plastic. I have also frozen gingerbread dough and have taken it back out of the freezer up to six months later and used it very successfully. Again, wrap it tightly before freezing.

If it is for show, you can bake gingerbread as early as "now" and still have a structure standing (with none of the frosting falling off) six months later. Humidity plays a part in how long gingerbread stays sturdy. If you want it to be eaten, you can still bake now, decorate, but place in a box to keep it from getting dusty until it is time to give it away.

Here is an ongoing thread that answers most any question you could possibly have about gingerbread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604431.html

Happy Baking!

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 4

If you have enough cookie sheets, I have found an awesome way to store the dough. While the dough is fresh and soft, roll it out fairly thinly on a parchment lined cookie sheet, filling it from edge to edge. Top with a layer of plastic wrap. Do the same for as many cookie sheets as you need. Then stack and completely wrap in plastic wrap to keep in your fridge. When ready to use, pull out one sheet at a time (it cuts better cold, warm it gets sticky) and cut out your shapes. Keep the scraps to the side to roll onto another cookie sheet when enough dough is accumulated. Easy peasy!

minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much for the replies.

I never realised that the dough could last so long in the fridge. I shall start making it now.

Thanks a million.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%