Transporting Cream Cheese Icing Over A Few Days!!

Business By nessica Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 10:36am by nessica

nessica Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 12

I want to ship some christmas presents which will be "cupcakes in a jar" and was wondering what the deal was with transporting cream cheese/buttercream icing? It will be done through the post office, and it should probably take a few days or more to get them there. so they will not be refrigerated. I dont think it's going to be able to work, and i would hate for anyone to get sick!! The jars will be sealed, but will the icing go bad? an anyone help me!?? Thanks in advance!!
Vanessa

11 replies
pattigunter Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 12

I dont think I'd try that. It will go bad if you cant keep it cold.

newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 12

Buttercream will be fine for a day or two if it's the shortening based b'cream with no dairy in the mix. However, I'd be cautious w/cream cheese icing. I'd suggest packing them in a small cooler w/ice or dry ice. Last summer I sent some cases of custom wrapped chocolate bars to a friend who lives in the south and I took some of the freezer packs you buy at the grocery store, froze them, wrapped them in newspaper and packed them around the chocolate in a small cooler. I then sent the cooler overnight and they arrived completely intact - no melting. I know it's expensive but if you want to ship something perishable like cream cheese icing, I think you'll have to send it packed on ice or with dry ice.

all4cake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 12

As a possible solution, Sam's Club sells buckets of cream cheese icing which does not require refrigeration and can be left at ambient room temp for an extended amount of time (I'm talkin' the full extent of its' shelf life!)

bakencake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 12

All4cake I have been looking for something like this. I'm used to letting my cakes settle overnight but wanted to try with something other than crisco frosting. thanks for sharing. Does it taste good?

all4cake Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

It does taste good. Some of the bakeries (especially during the holidays)prefer you call ahead (and sometimes order ahead....only takes a couple of days...) to eliminate any possible disappoint of them being out when you get there. Not all clubs sell their bakery items (I don't know why not...the item numbers are the same company wide).

newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

As a possible solution, Sam's Club sells buckets of cream cheese icing which does not require refrigeration and can be left at ambient room temp for an extended amount of time (I'm talkin' the full extent of its' shelf life!)

Good to know! I've also wanted to ship cupcakes in a jar w/cream cheese icing but didn't want to go to the expense of how I had to ship the chocolate! Thanks!!

nessica Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #8 of 12

thanks everyone for your help! I probably wont go ahead with it now, I am in Australia and we dont have that supermarket here, so I will have to come up with some other christmas creation! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

ooooooooooooooooooh.....had I known that, I wouldn't have suggested Sam's Club.

newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 12

I was at our Sam's today and they indeed do sell shelf stable cream cheese icing. Around $26 for an 18 lb. bucket size. A little bigger than a gallon bucket. I didn't get any because I'm not ready for it but good to know I can get it.

sweetonyouzz Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #11 of 12

I would try a non perishable item. Cr Cheese needs to be refridgerated at a safe temp or you will have issues with food safety. I really recommend to any caker who wants to make cakes for even family and friends to take a food safety course. It is well worth the money and you will be horrified to learn how easy it is to get food poisoning. Good luck on your presents though, I think that if you send a non-perishable item that people will love them!

nessica Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 10:36am
post #12 of 12

I contact a company in the UK who actually makes and sends cupcakes in jars, and she just said "sugar is a natural preservative so the icing stays fresh for quite along time"
I wont be taking the chance in boiling hot Australia, but just thought i'd let you all know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%