Weight Restriction

Lounge By jonahsmom Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm by -K8memphis

jonahsmom Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

Okay - so I'm probably going to be facing another breast reconstruction surgery in the next month or two - what they did after my mastectomy a year ago is just not working and a bilateral tram is my only option (can't do DIEP because that vessel is severed). From what I understand, that means that I'll have a permanent weight restriction of 20-25 lbs due to the loss of some abdominal muscle.

So, here's my question - is it even going to be possible for me to continue on with caking after that? I want to, but don't want to risk injuring myself and my husband *might* be able to help lift sometimes, but he isn't going to want to help me always. I know I could stick with just the smaller cakes, but the bigger cakes are soooo much more fun!

Anybody here have a similar permanent weight restriction and making it work? I know having the surgery is a must - but I would also like to hear that it's not going to be a problem KWIM?

3 replies
jonahsmom Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 4

I'm really hoping there's a caker on here that has gone through a similar experience and can offer their experience. I also have concerns about being able to roll out fondant after the surgery.

Maybe I just need to go through the surgery and hope for the best and not worry about the inability to cake until I'm able to try it.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 4

I went through a temporary weight restriction when I was pregnant and during recuperation from different surgeries but not for all the time.

If it was me I'd consider doing small cakes only.

I hope all goes very very well for you.

Unless you have someone who is as commited as you are to doing cakes and will be there instant in season and out of season to help move and lift and heave and hoe for you on the weightier things--I mean I'd just limit my work to accomodate my new abilities. That way you retain control.

You get to keep doing what you love. You eliminate the added stress of getting help when you need it. Because the times to help will occur so spottily and randomly-hey I need to decorate the big one--can you move it to the turntalbe. Hey I need to get it out of the oven--what do you mean you just dashed out to the store. Hey I need to torte it. I need it moved over--just would be too hard for me.

If you have a partner in the business--sure go for it. But just specialize in more petite cakes and you're golden.

<much heart>

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 4

Cookies cookies cookies. Cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%